1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merkle's Boner is now 100 years old

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Unavailable for comment.

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

So Granny was just a baby when this happened? (cross-thread attempt)

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That is an excellent pull.

4. FWIW, on the first day of kindergarten--Mike Seqaver changed Richard Stabone's (son of Sylvester Stabone, btw) nickname from "Dicky" to "Boner."

5. Ohiowriter

Ohiowriter Member

I am no Mets or Buckner fan, but it is not even close. If Buckner fields the ground ball, the inning is over but the game was already tied. Plus the Red Sox had Game 7, which they lost even when a rainout allowed them to start 2-0 Bruce Hurst instead of Oil Can Boyd. I mean if the Buckner play was actually to win the series, I can see why there would be such a legacy.

As someone who follows the Indians, Tony Fernandez let one go through his legs in extra innings in Game 7 in 1997 and it directly led to the loss to the Marlins. Yet nobody remembers that one.

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Thanks for the thoughtful response, but it was really just the premise for a dick joke.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: Merkle's Boner is now 100 years old

Which is bigger? Ain't gonna be a thread on the 100th anniversary of Buckner's Erection, I'll tell you that.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Ibid. That was really fucking outstanding.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Wasn't spnited covering that game?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Because Buck was sleeping off some post-MNF debauchery at seven oh-fuckin'-five ayy-emm, that's why. ;)

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Also, Buckner had no business being on the field. Defensively, he was as stiff as his knees. Johnny Mac kept him in the game because he wanted Buckner to be on the field to celebrate. Considering they were up two runs, I can understand that a little, but why McNamara didn't put in Dave Stapleton at any time during that fateful 10th is beyond me.

To me, McNamara's mental lapse in keeping Buckner in the game was a bigger blunder than Merkle's, though Merkle's blunder was indeed bigger than Billy Buck's.

Draft saved Draft deleted