1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Merkle's Blunder"

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Della9250, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2008/09/23/2008-09-23_the_merkle_blunder_and_baseballs_most_fa-2.html

So says the Daily News, apparently not wanting to offend people. I was curious as to the reaction either way, especially when the play has never been referred to as such.

2. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I've only seen it referred to as Merkle's Boner.

hehehe

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Della's Blunder
    http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/61449/

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You said boner.

5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I totally disagree. That is the celebration of the event. This is the journalistic side of changing the name of an event because a newspaper is afraid of the connotation.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Any better?

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The "name of the event" was invented by some sportswriter anyway, at a time when the term was innocuous. Is it wrong to say, "Franco Harris' amazing catch in the Super Bowl" instead of "Immaculate Reception?" Of course not.

I wouldn't expect any self-respecting newspaper to refer to Tiger Woods as gay after the birth of his child, though I'm sure he was happy as hell.

The connotation of the word has changed and the fact that every one of us - every one of us - giggles a little to ourselves when referring to Merkle's boner, tells me that it may not be appropriate in the newspaper anymore.

I think the term is funny as hell. But I can certainly understand if a newspaper wants to maintain higher standards rather than go for a cheap laugh out of ingrates like myself.

There are only two reasons to continue calling it Merkle's Boner -- to get a third-grade laugh out of it or to avoid the knee-jerk "PC POLICE!!!!" reaction to calling it a blunder.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Methinks my friend slappy is saying Deep Background.

(After further review, methinks you already figured that out)

9. tagline

tagline Member

Yes, it's wrong. Because the catch happened during an AFC divisional playoff game, not the Super Bowl.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Now that would be a yes.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Sonofabitch.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted