1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merged: Whitlock World

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dangerous_K, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dr Boyd was already discredited on another sj thread. He comes off as rap apoligist.

The column makes you wonder if he has even listened to any of lyrics from gansta rap music.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i hope you feel just like a whore ... "oh god, good luck jason ... if only i could nuzzle at the head of ..."

sad dude, real sad.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Hey, just for the sake of everything I said that. Don't you think everyone benefits if the thug-life mentality was done away with?

What I do for a living, there is nothing that Whitlock could do, write or say that would benefit me in the least.

I'm just glad a black man is finally standing up and pointing out the faults. Strike that, I am finally glad a black man, who is not a frekking comedian, is standing up and pointing out what is going on in the black community.

You would think fellow writers wouldn't trash each other as much as some of you do?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'd like to think some of us don't nuzzle at the head of cock the way some of us do, too.

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

jmac,
    To me, this column (and others like it) seems to be attacking Whitlock's personality. The only attempt at making a counterpoint was that Whitlock is distracting people from the real problem - white racism - When in my view, Whitlock's writings only added another perspective on the matter that was sorely missing from the discussion.

Imus is a racist and he was fired. That is clear. Many A-list public figures chose to tacitly accept his racism. That's a topic for serious discussion.

I happen to think many Americans can hold two seperate spokes of a single issue in their heads simultaneously, and the issues Whitlock is writing and speaking about are also topics for serious discussion. The two ideas are not mutually exclusive propositions.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sorry, but couldn't get past the obvious and lazy spelling and grammatical errors....It's 'Proctor & Gamble' (not Procter and Gamble), and it's Meredith 'Vieira,' not Viera.....Hip Hop or hip hop, but 'Hip hop'?. Ugh. I'm not even an editor and I want to gag.

This was written by the general manager of ESPN The Magazine....he must have shown it to the same editor who blessed us with Jessie Jackson.

8. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I found it interesting that AOL posted a response from an ESPN homer. Equal time? Stirring their own pot? Moderating the great debate? Who knows. I agree with PoO that the thing isn't particularly well-reasoned or well-argued. And you're absolutely right about the inexcusable editorial mistakes - my personal peeve being the "honing in" construction.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I was so annoyed by the horrible writing that I didn't even make that point: ESPN snarking at whitlock? Duh.

Not that it would have improved this mess, but a reference to 'whilock, a former contributor to espn...' would have given it a modicum of integrity.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

We all know he was on Oprah on Monday and Whitlock has gotten so much well-deserved publicity in the last few weeks that it was even acknowledged on PTI.

If ESPN hadn't felt the ridiculous need to get rid of him because of a great interview on The Big Lead, a bulk of this publicity would have given them a huge boost. Whitlock is fast becoming one of the most recognized sports writers in the country and probably the only one who has no affiliation with ESPN...

How stupid must the WWL feel?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Loopy's probably stamping his little hooves...

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I hope he is... To my knowledge, the only sportswriters to ever be on Oprah are Albom and Whitlock and Albom had nothing to do with his columns (Maybe Reilly did once too, not sure...) ... I'm not an Oprah fan on any level, but for a sportswriter to book that gig just tells you how nationally known they're becoming...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.