1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merged: Whitlock World

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dangerous_K, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh I agree it isn't a column that I would classify as being well-written, I just did a quick search to find an opposite view on Whitlock and that's what I found.

2. http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/74573.html

i thought my column on kansascity.com would spark some debate about the impact of pop culture.

3. armageddon

armageddon Active Member

I know. Didn't mean to rip you for doing so. Just ripping the author.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Spnited, please pick up the red courtesy phone.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Wow... feel like stiring the pot tonight, do you Dools?

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

J-Dub can throw a fastball so hard that Cole Hamels pees himself a little.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

But Rich Hill wouldn't flinch.

8. An intellectual revolution?
    Jason Whitlock?
    AOL Sports -- the Paris Commune of American sports journalism.
    (And if Whitlock gives a rat's ass about "sexism" in any sense except making noise about it, it's eluded me.)

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Whitlock thinks people still give a shit about Imus this of all weeks.

10. I've raised three of them. You're as full of shit as the Christmas goose.
    Primary narcissism of our age, JW - our problems are worse than anyone else's were, ever.

11. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Does anyone think it's possible that Whitlock's viewpoint might not be that much of a minority in the black community? I mean, there aren't many black people in sports media, and there sure as hell aren't many black columnists. I can name a few, everyone can name a few — but I think we all agree that there are too few of them.

Isn't is possible that there would be more people agreeing with him if there were more black people with a pedestal like his to stand on? I think he makes a lot of great points, but I'm white, so I don't know if I'm qualified to write that. I honestly don't. As a white Christian male, there is an entire side of hatred I've never experienced, and because he's black, I'm sure Whitlock has.

12. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I think Whitlock has made some great points... and made them... and made them. By now, we get the point and these columns and calling for the shutdown of BET are starting to look a little self-promoting. It's losing its effect anyway. While I agree with many of his initial arguments after the Imus debacle, I still also believe he was wrong to lump Vivian Stringer into the Sharpton-Jackson fame-hungry group. She's a great coach who stood up for her team. Good for her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.