1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merged: The Imus threads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 11, 2007.

1. Re: Best Imus take I've read

The answer to question one is, "Neither one."

2. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Re: Best Imus take I've read

You know, I've heard from black women who say they've had similar experiences, that after fighting all of their lives to overcome stereotypes and to try to better themselves, a single comment -- especially from a boss or authority figure -- can completely undermine their self-esteem.

Many of the players on the team come from rough neighborhoods. When you fight hard on the court and practice and listen to your demanding coach and come from nowhere to getting to a national championship game -- and then to find out that people in the national media who just think you're a nasty black stereotype, yeah, I can imagine that would hurt a lot.

There have been people who say that Imus isn't racist because he doesn't hate black people. Racism doesn't have to involve hate. It more often than not manifests itself in someone in a position of power demeaning someone's accomplishments simply based on race -- because he thinks he can and should get away with it.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Re: AWESOME JASON WHITLOCK COLUMN

This was ALMOST as good as a picture of a kid eating paste.

4. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Are you saying that those who might agree with Whitlock's take in the Imus column are racists?

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Since there's no link, which JW piece is under discussion? There have been several this week.

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fenian thinks that Whitlock serves at the pleasure of white people so that they can feel better about themselves.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Does Whitlock now pay people to start threads stroking his massive ego, instead of just starting them himself like he used to?

8. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Man, I sure hope whatever Jason did to you, it was worth you blasting him on every single thread that brings him up.

9. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Spnited does have a good point. Anytime Jason Whitlock or Jemelle Hill write a column it seems to be immediately linked to the Web site. I think there are a few other people writing sports columns out there.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Twoback has a pretty good point, too.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Spnited can't write a thread without it including the words "Whitlock" and "massive ego"

"Egotistical blowhard" sometimes sneaks in, too.

12. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

True.

Draft saved Draft deleted