1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merged: The Imus threads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jaredk

jaredk Member

Re: Best Imus take I've read

To convert the sexist bully bigot (as if that's possible), Sally Jenkins wants him in a scarlet R....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/11/AR2007041102518_pf.html

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jackson's a corporate shakedown artist, and little more . . . Al's simply an embarassment.

3. Re: Best Imus take I've read

Phil Specter

[​IMG]

4. Re: Best Imus take I've read

JG

You ask too many questions at once. I do the best I can. If I don't answer 'em all or only answer one (like I'm about to) don't think I'm ducking them. I'm just getting pulled a lot of directions. I wrote 2 columns on this topic in a span of 12 hours. I don't pull this stuff out of my rear as much as people like to think.

I don't know if this answers any of your questions but this is my belief: It is horribly ineffective to ask one group of people to give you more respect than you're willing to give yourself. As long as we (black folks) call each other bitches, ho's and N-words or passively tolerate other black folks calling us bitches, ho's and N-words we should not be surprised or fly off the handle when a white shock jock calls us a bitch, ho or N-word.

Throughout the history of mankind, no man has ever been given more respect than he's willing to give himself. Period.

We have a culture in crisis (hip hop/gangsta/prison culture) and we're celebrating Don Imus' demise and picketing white radio stations that wouldn't begin to play the filth that is aired on black-owned radio stations.

That's all I got right now.

One love, everybody.

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Thanks for the post, JW, I'm sure you're swamped. And I didn't mean to imply that only you, or you specifically, hadn't responded. Rather that there was so much happening on the other threads yesterday that no one was responding to anything. It was a day for heated assertions here, not reflection.

And my comments or questions are, as usual, only meant as a way to engage other sides of the arguments. Mostly as a craft issue on behalf of the less experienced writers here. Have a good Thursday.

6. Re: Best Imus take I've read

Thanks for letting us off the hook, JW.
    I'm going to start pitching a race-baiting radio program now and get rich.
    This is an argument that goes back decades. It was made against jazz and against the blues by Talented 10th theorists who believed that the attendant criminal elements attached to those two art forms tarred the overall fight against American apartheid. "How can we expect to be treated with dignity if we don't behave in a dignified fashion?" I believe was the formulation back in the day. (This was never a problem for white people, it should be noted, except in the relatively brief periods following the various waves of European immigration.)
    Of course, the basic institutional white racism of the country didn't give a damn how fervently black folks argued this issue. It just went right along being racist for the sake of being racist.
    Jason, you're bringing to light an argument that's been engaged for a while, and good for you for it, but the notion that white people will change if black people behave responsibly is belied by an awful lot of history.
    And, anyway, apples and oranges.

7. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I'm sure that Imus was only teasing -- like he and Phil Spector tease their hair.

YHS, etc

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Whitlock just writes so that white people can feel better about themselves" / fenian bastard

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

per usual, shaun powell offers thought-provoking insight:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/ny-sppow125168074apr12,0,3616109.column?coll=ny-sports-columnists

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I think Shaun is tremendous and always have. I edited him years ago when he was the virtually perfect beat writer, and a few months ago here, I selected him as one of my three columnists on our "Dream Team" that some of us were picking. But why didn't he call one of the players and ask them why they didn't do what he now suggests they should have done?

11. Re: Best Imus take I've read

Naw. I figure it's just a handy by-product.

12. Re: Best Imus take I've read

OK, Shaun. Where'd Imus learn to call Gwen Ifill the "cleaning lady," or Bill Rhoden a "quota hire"? Where'd he learn to call Howard Kurtz, a "beanie-wearing jewboy"?
    I don't think you can pin all this on Dr. Dre:
    http://tompaine.com/Archive/scontent/4391.html

Draft saved Draft deleted