1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merged: The Imus threads

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SheaSeals, Apr 11, 2007.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Re: Best Imus take I've read

Sorry, IU, but the way I read the piece, he inadvertantly lets Imus off the hook by saying this: We can't punish offensive speech over here (Imus) if there's even more offensive speech going on over here (gangsta rap). The lesser evil is superceded by the greater, and Whitlock is unwilling to engage the one without first engaging the other. Thus, he (unintentionally) advocates doing nothing. Doesn't it make more sense to address each case of offensive speech as it comes to us, rather than asking if this current case is perfectly representative of the entirety of the evil present in the language?

And why not use the opportunity of the Imus example as the opening battle in the war against self-loathing gangsta lyrics - rather than arguing over who gets to sit where at the big table of cultural decision makers?

And sadly, the truth about both Jackson and Sharpton has been long known and much written about. There's nothing new in calling for their marginalization.

2. Re: Best Imus take I've read

Excuse me, but if Sharpton and Jackson aren't leaders, who is?
    Seriously, if they're not, who will we listen to? Whitlock?

3. standman

standman Member

Sharpton and Jackson are able to get away with it because the mainstream media tends to be lazy when dealing with the black community and paints the community as monolithic in thought.

When there is a problem. Sharpton and Jackson are usually the first two people mainstream (and in particular broadcast media) call. They know the game and will speak loud, often, be angry and make for good television. But it comes at a price. You'll never see either one turn down an opportunity to be in the limelight and in many ways make themselves as big as the original issue. That visibility also allows Sharpton and Jackson to be in a position to shakedown companies or people.

I was insulted by what Imus said, but I was just as insulted that Rev. Al was designated as my black apology clearinghouse.

However, I do agree with Rev. Al that the so-called black community needs to have a discussion about the way words are used in media products marketed to black folks. Yes there is a double standard, but my feeling is wrong is wrong.

4. SheaSeals

SheaSeals Member

You're right—media is l-a-z-y when it comes to black issues. There are hundreds of African-American mayors, congressmen, councilmen, civic leaders, business leaders, communication execs across the U.S.—and TV always goes back to Jackson and Sharpton, two past-their-prime, out-of-touch ambulance chasers. We, the media, should do much better.

I'm white, but none of my AA friends consider Jackson or Big Al legit spokespersons. They see them for who they are—opportunists.

5. Re: Best Imus take I've read

Hell, CNN had Whoopi Goldberg on today to speak about it.

6. Re: Best Imus take I've read

And didn't bother to mention the Ted Danson incident, when she stood up for him.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Fen, just as a craft matter, I think that's one of the big problems with this piece, and the central problem in the one posted later in the day. Mr. Whitlock condemns the Revs., as has been done many times, but makes no suggestion in either piece for an alternative. Surely they aren't the only voices to be heard in this case. That's why I posted the date on the NABJ press release. Here's a national group of African-American professionals asking that Imus be held accountable - days before Sharpton or Jackson weigh in.

And to make the Civil Rights movement sound as if it were entirely about Dr. King - as if the whole of it moved forward with one voice - is historically incorrect. King had dissenting voices within the movement and on all sides to contend with.

It's a good workshop question - is it up to the writer to suggest alternatives when writing a piece like this? And by not offering them, does the writer then unwittingly offer his own voice as the only voice of reason?

8. Re: Best Imus take I've read

Whitlock's perception of the movement is, well, limited. Leaving aside that sexism was a huge problem within the SCLC and the other organizations -- quiz: who is Diane Nash? see? -- the one thing Dr. King never did was publicly read anyone out of the movement. (He let Bayard Rustin go in private.) While he likely wouldn't be too thrilled with some elements of popular culture, there is simply no way he would have used it to distract him from speaking out on the issue at hand.

9. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Like you, I think we're stuck in the present moment with the leaders we're stuck with. Neither Jackson nor Sharpton is wholly good or wholly bad. But by bringing what media light they can to the Imus/Rutgers thing, do they not serve a purpose? And if they're imperfect, and insufficent to the needs of the African-American community, is now the time to call for their ouster? Would it have made more sense to write either or both of these pieces four days ago? Or four days from now? I don't know.

10. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I don't think the writer HAS to offer alternatives. He doesn't have to have all the answers to be able to point out what's wrong with what's going on. I don't know if this analogy works, but it'd be like if I said Kwame Brown isn't a good basketball player and someone said he's better than me. That'd be true, but it doesn't make my statement that he's not a good player any less correct. The writer doesn't need to necessarily enter into the equation, though if he can offer solutions, all the better.

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Telander wrote something along those lines in today's Sun-Times. It was a pretty good read.

12. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I think everyone has missed the most important point.

Who is Don Imus to talk about anyone's hair?

YHS, etc

Draft saved Draft deleted