1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mercari, E-Bay... does anyone here sell stuff online?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Scout, Feb 8, 2021.

1. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Yes, fleabay.

2. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Thoughts on an app like Mercari?

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

I've never delved into alternate selling sights such as Alibaba or Mercari. Though I should, because eBay fucking sucks for sellers. They take the buyer's side anytime there's a dispute.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I sell a lot of stuff online and it's turned into a pretty good side hustle. My bread-and-butter are golf collectibles, there's a cult of golfers that collect headcovers and ball markers from boutique sellers and if you can get them at retail, people will then pay through the nose on the secondary market. I've also sold off a lot of personal items, family clothes, old toys, kitchenware, you name it. I've used Mercari for clothes and it's pretty good. Ebay has its warts but it's hard to argue with its reach; I probably send 10 percent of my stuff overseas and shipping for me just means from Indianapolis to eBay's shipping center at the Cincinnati airport.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    garrow and sgreenwell like this.
  5. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Mercari seems to be incredibly easy to use. Is this the case with EBay?

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yes, listing items is so easy and so long as you have PayPal, very easy.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Please don’t be one of those sellers who will “re-use” a listing to sell another item. I bought an aftermarket clock spring off there last year and a couple weeks later, when I went to leave a substandard review, it was for something else, like a radio faceplate or a ceramic heater or something totally random. And yes, it’s on me for buying a dirt-cheap part imported from who knows where.

8. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

How much of your time is spent chatting with people about the item? Honestly, that’s what I dread the most.

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't mind a few questions; especially if I'm selling something used (though I try not to too often; most of the conflicts I've heard of are over misrepresented conditions). I like the feature on eBay where you can reply to a question with an offer.

Draft saved Draft deleted