1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Merc News staffers to take walkabouts

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Aug 8, 2007.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

San Jose is 'rethinking" the Mercury News and its approach to delivering the goods.

http://www.portfolio.com/views/blogs/daily-brief/2007/08/07/rethinking-the-mercury-news

This jumps out:

"At the core of the Mercury News campaign is a deceptively simple idea: Give the readers what they want.

To achieve this, the paper is preparing to conduct an extensive survey of its readership, to be undertaken by teams of staff members from all departments at the Mercury News, who will venture into the community to observe and catalog readers' news consumption habits."

How do you catalog a reader's news consumption habit? Watch people at lunch? Knock on doors? Interrupt them while they're reading to ask, "Hey, wha'cha reading?"

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's LEan Dean, remember?
    The next step to community journalism and fewer internal bodies...

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You've gotta pound on the stall doors and ask "what section you got?"

4. Good god, what a terrible fucking idea.
    The widget salesmen are in charge.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

"I read the Classifieds. That's about it."

The most common answer to a survey I helped do 10 years ago. Great for the ego.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I don't see how this is an improvement over the professionals we've used for market surveys over the past, oh, 50 years, not that it's done us much good. It seems the Merc staffers will be gathering lots of anecdotal information rather than scientific measurement, unless I am misunderstanding this.

Also, I hope these staffers will be fully innoculated before venturing outside the office to meet their readers for the very first time and that they will be given GPS so they don't get lost out there. It's hard to build an immunity to reader cooties when you live outside the circulation area because you can't afford to live in the circulation area, and thus spend no time within the circulation area other than at your desk. Geez, could that be part of our problem?

7. Now walkabout now walkabout now walkabout now walkabout.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Someone may want to investigate whether Lean Dean has a mole in the Gannett operation somewhere. This sounds like the work of those geniuses.

Draft saved Draft deleted