1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MENSA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Sep 20, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Kiddo, Ides is a Mormon . . .

2. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Never said you shouldn't. I just said being an Eagle makes as much of a positive statement about your character as a degree. The degree obviously says far more about your ability in your chosen field, but Eagle says as much about the rest of you. Look at it this way -- the percentage of college students who earn a degree is much higher than the percentage of Scouts who earn Eagle.

Not saying the degree isn't worth more professionally, but I can't see why you'd leave Eagle off a resume.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same reason you wouldn't list your kids on a resume. Taking care of a family shows a lot of responsibility, but it doesn't belong on a resume. If being an Eagle Scout is that important to you, then you might put it in a cover letter or bring it up in an interview.

But I wouldn't put it on a professional resume, unless you have a place for organizations and/or personal accomplishments. It would be fine there.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I'd never put it on a resume. Just like I'd never list membership in the Freemasons or church affiliation.

Keep it to the basics.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't think it's out of line to put professional-related involvement. (For example, I list my SABR activities, some of which coincide with actual work experience (published articles, etc.)) While I don't think Eagle Scout is relevant to professional expertise in this industry, per se, I could be swayed by arguments otherwise.

And I would definitely distinguish between Eagle Scout and, say, church membership when it comes to non-professional involvement.

6. Inky_Wretch

I can see the Eagle Scout listing if you're young, just out of college.

And I agree with the professional-related listings. I'd put my FWAA membership and years as a Heisman elector on a resume before I'd put Mensa.

7. ARD

ARD Member

1. Yes

2. Yes, at least for the most recent. Doesn't seem to have hurt me any.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Agreed, putting Mensa and personal info on my resume doesn't seem to have hurt me a bit.

9. Now you're just name-dropping.

10. Inky_Wretch

Hey, it's not like I mentioned my years voting for the Ray Guy Award.

Draft saved Draft deleted