1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MENSA

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Sep 20, 2007.

1. awriter

awriter Active Member

You're in!

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm assuming the blue font wasn't working because I can't believe you'd post something like that with any seriousness. So, again, I assume you were being sarcastic.

I interviewed a guy once with MENSA on his resume, part of a team that talked to a candidate at our joint. About as solid a guy as you could meet, not an ounce of "air" about him and really, really, really smart.

I'm sure some MENSA folks are douche bags. So are some dumbasses.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And I don't mean to single out my man doc because others do it plenty. He's just the example this time.

People who complain about excess rancor on the board? This is a part of why. This thread had nothing to do with JDV and he had not visited. There was only one reason to bring him into it in any way, to be mean spirited. We cut out shit like that and maybe the level of douchebaggery goes way down.
    Just a thought.

Wasn't that MENSA of me?

4. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

I hear the local NAMBLA group whipped the local MENSA group's asses at the softball complex last night. But I the NAMBLA guys were putting saliva on balls.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes and no.

Yes, I was kidding. I would hope as heck that editors wouldn't want that.

No, I wasn't kidding, since I've seen some places only hire sheep. I'm not taking shots at the sheep themselves, I'm calling out the editors that hired them in the first place and only want yes-men around.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm assuming you're not serious about answer 2. Really, why wouldn't you put it on your resume? It's a fact about you that shows you in a positive light. No, you don't make it the centerpiece of your resume, screaming, ``I'M SO FUCKING SMART! HIRE ME!'' But what's wrong with a line somewhere?

Personally, I lead with my best stuff -- work experience and accomplishments. Then education. Then, just before the references, there's a graf under the heading ``Personal Information'' that notes the names and ages of my kids, my hobbies, the fact that I am an assistant scoutmaster, I play golf and tennis and I love '50s rock and roll ... and, oh yes, a mention that I am a member of Mensa, the international high IQ society. Does anyone really think that will get my resume tossed in the round file without another glance?

7. I see no reason to put "personal information" on a resume. Not that there's anything wrong with it, I guess. But it's not for me.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Ditto. Da man's post made me think of Dwight Schrute's three resumes: 1. Professional, 2. Personal, 3. Dwight Schrute trivia.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Really? Because I totally copy and paste my Facebook profile onto my resume. I think it tells potential employers a lot about me (for example, since "Lost" is among my favorite TV shows, they know I'm a deep thinker, but since "Anchorman" is among my favorite movies, they know I have a sense of humor.)

I am completely joking, by the way (or maybe it's "yoking," it might be a soft J.) I can't imagine including personal information on my resume.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Does "no personal information" extend to education? Because putting "Harvard" or "Yale" on your resume (assuming that's where you went) isn't materally different from putting MENSA on there. It's touting an aspect of your background and capability. The MENSA thing might even be more pure -- mentioning your alma mater might only be touting your parents' bank account.

I find it ironic, too (wait, maybe just coincidental...?) that in a business where we spend so much time glorifying athletic talent and distinguishing between them that got it and them that don't, or to what degree, that we would be so uncomfortable acknowledging degrees of intelligence. That's my gripe with high school sports coverage -- we turn a school's jocks into heroes while the smart kids still get stuck with "nerd" and "wonk" labels. We've got some kids who try to avoid being seen as smart, because it might ostracize them. But no one makes athletes embarrassed about their innate skills.

So . . . if you were captain of a Big Ten team and you're trying to carve out a sportswriting career, would you put that on your resume, to show you were a sports insider, not just a fan-boy with writing ability? Same thing then. Personal information.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you think putting MENSA on your application is the same as listing what college you attended, then I think you don't have any worries about it cluttering up your resume.

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Talking about the bragging aspect of it that seems to be rattling people here. And how that personal information about your background -- explicitly saying, I was certified as having learned such-and-such at Phuque U. -- isn't much different from saying I know such-and-such or am a quick study because I'm Mensa-smart.

Frankly, knowing that somebody, at 35, is really smart might have more relevance than knowing where someone hung out and went to keggers from 18-22.

But then, in case of your alma mater, Ace, it hardly would be bragging.

Draft saved Draft deleted