1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's suit, pants question -- cuffs or no cuffs?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Big Ragu, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

That's pretty much dead-on, but I'd say it's for men who care about clothes but don't care about fashion.

I am still wearing some of the clothes I had in my 20s, ties especially. I like the look and I have no interest in knee-jerking to the whims of clothing designers. I want clothes that last (physically as well as style-wise), and I want to be well-dressed without being a peacock or dandy. I don't want the clothing to attract attention other than an overall look of neatness.

Also, I am an American and for the most part I want to dress like one. There is one Italian thing among my suits, blazers and sports jackets. The rest are from the U.S., except one Canadian-made jacket (Ralph Lauren). I can admire a Canali, but it isn't for me.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I refuse to wear a pair of pants without cuffs. Ever. Nobody can convince me that suit pants or khakis look remotely decent without a cuff. If I still owned a tux, I'd put a cuff on those pants too.

3. pallister

pallister Guest

I haven't worn a suit since Jimmy Carter was president (first communion).

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Frank,
    I don't disagree.

When people wore suits to work I had the standards: two navy blazers (one wool & cashmere for winter/fall and a lightweight wool for summer; a lightweight summer Brooks Brothers suit,a gray wool by Canadian designer Alfred Sung, a black Canali and another summer one by Claiborne. I also had two or three sports jackets--North American and Italian.I didn't always want to look like a Ralph Lauren ad.

Now, with the blazers & Brooks Brothers suit I'd almost invariably wear a buttondown shirt but wouldn't even consider wearing one with the other suits.

I actually miss wearing suits to work.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And no tailor worth his salt would have let you. :)

6. Frank_Ridgeway

I understand why some people don't like suits. However, they are very flattering to those of us who don't live at the gym. I look 20 pounds lighter in a suit.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Frank, truer words were never spoken.

Made to measure?

8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

For what it's worth, this girl likes guys who wear pants with cuffs, but is NOT a fan of the button collar.

I'm divided on pleats because some guys can pull them off and others can't.

And while this isn't a function of cut, which is what we're discussing, I absolutely LOVE pinstripes on guys.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Just because someone else decided I wasn't supposed to put cuffs on tux pants doesn't mean I'm going to care.

Guess which is more important to me: being comfortable with what I'm wearing or the opinions of people who would look down on me for putting cuffs on a pair of pants?

10. Frank_Ridgeway

No. All my suits are thrift-store buys. One still had its tags on and was never worn.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Cuffs on a suit, maybe depending on the cut. Mostly they SCREAM old fart to me (sorry ragu, et. al), esp. on khakis.

Moddy's the only man who can wear pleats as far as I'm concerned.

And pinstrips are lovely.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

No matter how much time I spend in the gym, I can't drop that last 20 pounds. Maybe if I start wearing suits I won't have to. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted