1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's mag gig

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tom Petty, Nov 24, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Description:
    Editor of New men's magazine, SE7EN, is looking for a sharp male assistant to intern for 1 month to (hopefully) be promoted to Assistant Editor with salary of $25,000 plus benefits. The magazine launches January 18th and a good description is "GQ meets Sports Illustrated, meets Cigar Aficionado and Vanity Fair" with lots of sports betting and a very sophisticated edge. We have celebrity athelete contribtuors who write just for SE7EN, and this job will involve lots of writing, admin work handling writers contracts, editing on high tech production software, directing photo shoots, working with celebs, athletes, publicists, etc. so POLISH and intelligence, confidence, and sophistication are necessary. Must be willing to travel on occasion. Only apply if you are willing to work yourself to death (as does everyone in the publishing industry) to be an integral part of the hottest men's magazine on the newsstand and can handle publicity with professional charisma. If this is you, step up now, the job starts immediately. (Our office is in Atlanta, minutes from Perimeter Mall. A short E-mail questionnaire will be necessary to move forward to the interview process.) Send resume to amanda@psamags.com

$25k and work yourself to death? surely good ole amanda must be fuckin' toying with us.

is anyone out there actually going to move on this one? ... and better yet, is anyone going to fill out the questionaire just for shits and giggles?

2. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

GQ meets SI, meets Cigar Aficionado and Vanity Fair? Why not add Popular Mechanics, World Series of Poker and Playboy too?

3. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

If they add Cat Fancy, consider my hat in the ring.

4. Editude

Editude Active Member

In this environment, niches need to be narrowed, not cobbled together aimlessly.

5. Are you really allowed to specify gender in a job posting?

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Methinks Amanda wants an office boy toy.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Several years ago I got a call from an editor friend who asked me to freelance for a magazine that was described as "Details except racier"

I was sure it would last three months and then fold, but the money was good so I did a little work for them.

Almost 10 years later, Maxim is doing quite well...

Of course I've also done work for magazines with similar descriptions that folded weeks or months later...

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

By April, that description will read "GQ meets Sports Illustrated meets Cigar Aficionado and Vanity Fair with a splash of George thrown in for good measure."

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You mean you think the Editor-in-Chief is going to die in a plane crash? That's harsh dude... :)

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what the fuck do you tell people you work for if you work here? i mean how do you pronounce the name of the magazine?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Holy shit, I missed the title of the mag in the first readthru here.

Let's re-write that ad yet again: "GQ meets Sports Illustrated meets Cigar Aficionado and Vanity Fair with a splash of a movie named after a serial killer thrown in."

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted