1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mens Fashion Sighting of the Week

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 21, Sep 7, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

You're just going to have to picture this:

Sitting in an airport headed for NY, where it is Fashion Week, which might explain the man sitting across from me. He is refolding his pink and green paisley hanky for the 40th time, as it will not sit properly in his navy pinstriped sportcoat.

Which he is wearing with a) white pleated shorts, and b) black/beige wingtips, no socks.

Under the sportcoat he is wearing a yellow cashmere-ish turtleneck.

His hair is the color of my Aunt Evie's, which is to say it is the general color of a taxi. I'd guess he's around 70-ish, despite the facelift that has pulled his eyes so tight his face squeaks when he blinks.

I think to myself......Frank Ridgeway? :D

And, you know, it's not like we're at a swank NY fashion gala....we're sitting in the freakin airport.

It ain't Liza, but I can't get over the wingtips/shorts deal. No socks.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Some people just don't know how to dress.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

This sounds dangerously like the look that Moddy posted here a month or two ago...the jacket and/or tie with shorts.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

5. I have never understood this look. It looks like one just couldn't figure out what look they wanted to go for.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

The shorts might look okay on a younger man....this guy has varicose veins like a map of Cleveland.

What really gets me are the shoes. What can they possibly smell like after a day with no socks? If he takes them off on the plane there's going to be a major Homeland Security crisis. Next week, no shoe removal allowed on planes.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wasn't me. I'm at a soccer match.

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

He has shaved legs.

Maybe he's a woman. I might ask.

9. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Sounds like a sartorial rainman. And I'm betting... just betting... he's tight with Dorothy, yes?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That's it. Definitely doing this in Baltimore.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And in a related story, GB Hack will once again be on the market in Baltimore.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Fashion director at Barney's?

Draft saved Draft deleted