1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's fashion faux pas(es), as reported by yahoo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Does he have more ties than you have tats?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I have probably 100 ties, but my normal rotation is no more than 12, including two which are yellow. I don't know if I have ever thrown or given one away. Most are frankly hideous.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In 2015 sideouts will (still) be out, tapouts will be in.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

There's fashion, and there's practicality. Sometimes, you have to buck the former for the latter.

Men with ballcaps is seen as a faux pas, but when it's 95 and sunny and you have black hair (like I do), you're going to wear a ballcap in public.

One that's been brought up here before is to never wear a tie without a blazer. In my day job as a high school teacher, I wear a shirt and tie nearly every day (largely to convey a sense of authority, professionalism and decorum -- female teachers often tell us how "the tie" conveys such a sense of authority that they can't really develop). One really cold day, I did the "professor look" of sportcoat, V-necked sweater vest and an open-collared shirt with no tie. I thought I looked 60 years old and dressed so largely for practical reasons -- I wanted to be warm and I thought a suit/tie combo might put too much of a wall between me and my students -- but I had several students comment on how dressed-up I was on the one day I didn't wear a tie. Perception is interesting. It kind of changed my thoughts on the way I dress for work.

Draft saved Draft deleted