1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's fashion faux pas(es), as reported by yahoo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I read an anecdote somewhere about someone visiting an Asian country, maybe South Korea. Well, the two men were sitting in a fast-food joint, rocking their running shoes, cargo shorts, novelty tee, and baseball cap, and couldn't figure out for the longest time why the Koreans kept looking at them and snickering. At first they thought maybe it was racist. Finally they either asked someone or figured it out themselves: It was because of how they were dressed. Much of the world is not used to seeing adult men dressed that way in public.

Also, I would argue that the '50s and '60s, i.e. Camelot, etc., etc., is considered the "classic" era of men's and women's style.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

It is considered so by baby boomers, who have a hard time remembering the world existed before them and continues on as they near the grave.

As for the rest of the world laughing at me because I wear sneakers, jeans and a T-shirt when I'm not working, that is bigotry akin to an American laughing at a Korean man wearing a dop'o or hakch'angui.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

At the very least, the single guys on here - and I've seen plenty of guys mope about not being able to get dates and so forth and so on - should think about their presentation a little bit more. Maybe no one cares about what Korean men might think. But you ought to care what North American women think.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If I wore T-shirts, sure. And dress to make yourself happy, not the world. And I dunno that I'd want a woman who would judge me on clothing.

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Pleated pants are built for us fat people. Laugh all you want at them, but have you ever seen a fat guy in flat-fronted pants? It's fall-on-the-floor funny, eye-gouging ugly.

And I love Mad Men as much as anyone, but if any person under 30 tries to borrow that look one more time, I'm going to call them out. Ten years ago, you would have laughed your ass off at someone in horn-rimmed glasses, a three-piece suit and brylcreemed hair.

Leave the look to the people who actually lived through the 1960s or to someone who can actually pull it. (Note: 99 percent of men are not Jon Hamm).

Everyone else looks like Ryan Howard in the 'The Office', a total clown.
    [​IMG]

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think flat fronted pants give men an effete appearance.

7. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

A-men.

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Backpacks on grown ups are lame, but I will still wear one when I am sightseeing in NYC, or something. Or at the beach.

I love that baggy jeans are a faux pas, but I think skinny jeans should be one too. They look fucking ridiculous.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not disputing that a man should care about his appearance. What I'm addressing is the oft-used argument that people from other countries laugh at the way American men dress. I'm saying that's bigotted, just as it would bigotted for an American to see an Arab tourist or African tourist or Asian tourist and laugh at clothing that is culturally acceptable in that tourist's home country.
    Either way it's small-minded, narrow and bigotted.

That said, if you are trying to land a better job, girlfriend, wife, boyfriend, husband, etc. - don't cry about it if you walk around like a slob.

And all of that is not related to my point that pleats are more 'classic' than flat-fronts.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Not true my friend. FLat fronts aren't trendy.They are for slimmer fitting suits.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I am guilty of laughing at German tourists walking the NYC streets in their Teva's - sometimes with socks.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Moddy is German?

Draft saved Draft deleted