1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's fashion faux pas(es), as reported by yahoo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think messenger bags serve the same purpose and just look more grown-up:

[​IMG]

The passionate defense of pleats surprises me. I'm just not quite sure what they add. What's the upside? To me the sleaker, the better. That's why I don't like pleats or even busy patterned ties (I stick with stripes - two colors - and subtle dots). I do like pinstripes or a subtle glend plaid pattern (Express sells a terrific gray suit like that for about $400).

To see some great examples of being subtle and sleek but still expressive, check out the Dev Patel spread in GQ:

http://www.gq.com/style/wear-it-now/201007/dev-patel-reboot-your-suit-photos#slide=1

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Aren't the plural and singular of "faux pas" exactly the same? Pardon my French, but I believe faux is already plural.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Correct.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Attache or messenger bag - I'm covered on any given work day.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

I'm wearing a pink-ish Nike Dri-Fit polo golfing today. Take that, Yahoo!

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Pleats look better on people who are top heavy or overweight. Also, I think they're much more common in the South than elsewhere.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I get my clothing advice from this site.

askandyaboutclothes.com

I find it much better (and there is no spam) over anything by GQ et al.

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One they did not mention was the short sleeve dress shirt that give you the appearance of Assit MGR at a fast food restaurant or a saw mill.

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with short sleeve in general, see Polo-style, madras or a linen for the summmer. But a short sleeve dress shirt with a tie????? Shudder.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Most of these things aren't "fashion faux pas" because there's no fashion involved. Fanny packs? Please.

I'm with Dick Whitman on this. Dressing properly doesn't make you a fashionista, it makes you look, well, grown up. The majority of North American males dress like they did in middle school.

In high school I worked in a men's wear store (this was the mid 60's) and there wasn't a pleat to be found on any trousers. There's nothing flattering about them .

And Boom is bang on about short sleeve dress shirts. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I'm not disputing the popularity of flat-fronts for about a 20-year run (late 50s to mid 70s). I'm saying for the majority of the 20th century pleats were the preferred style.
    That's why pleats are the 'classic.'

Draft saved Draft deleted