1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's fashion faux pas(es), as reported by yahoo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's the key. Fashion comes and goes based on stupid trends. Style is about making yourself look your best.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Another vote for pleats here.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Pleats are more traditional. Flat-fronts are late 20th century trend:

'Pleated pants are considered a more-traditional trouser fashion. Historically, the English wore pants where the folds of the pleats faced inward and were tucked inside of the pants. Outward pleats were considered inelegant. In the United States in the 1950s and 1960s pants were usually worn without pleats and were more form fitting. In the 1970s and 1980s looser, baggier looks became fashionable and more men began wearing their pants with pleats. In the late 1990s flat-front trousers again became the norm as they were assumed to make one look slimmer.'

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Those were inward pleats. It says right there that outward pleats - the kind that people are defending - were considered "inelegant."

I don't know about you guys, but the '70s and '80s are the last decades I take my style tips from.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Alan Flusser, whose books on men's fashion are generally considered authorative, is neutral on pleats. There are also some regional differences, with pleats being considered the more traditional choice in the Deep South while flat front is more traditional to the Northeast and the Ivy League look. I tend toward the latter, but I have both and my reasoning is pragmatic. For instance, today I am wearing pleated linen shorts. I have a pair in the same color unpleated that are 5 or 6 years old, also from Brooks Brothers. I would have preferred another pair of unpleated linen shorts, but the pleated shorts were $14 on clearance last fall and I was not going to pass up a bargain like that. They are relatively subtle pleats. I draw the line at balloonish pleats that make me look like I have a boner.

6. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

You might want to find some old pictures of Fred Astaire.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

As long as I match, I feel fine with whatevs

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man-pris must be stopped.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Garanimals?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I don't get the no pleats thing. If they looked good before they look fine now. Key is keeping them well pressed. I find the straights to be too fashionable. They make you look like an ex dot comer or German architect.

When to "tuck" is the greatest fashion issue plaguing mankind today.

If you are in casual setting - jeans/ shorts/ cargo pants I don't think you should ever tuck. The tuck is only appropriate with dress slacks unless it's a Tommy Bahama style shirt which should never be tucked.

It's generational- its funny to see older men show up at say a picnic with the nice shorts, polo tucked, some sort of fancy belt and socks matching shirt and some god awful pair of shoes or pseudo sneakers.

You can tell the little voice of their mommy's is still in their head - "tuck your shirt in before you go out of this house" .

11. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Didn't mention anything about Zubaz, are they back in style again? I have some Dolphins ones I still wear around the house.

I saw some mention of backpacks on adults. I don't drive and as a commuter who has to walk part of the way to work a backpack comes in very handy.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I rarely tuck in a short sleeve shirt, and often don't tuck some long sleeve shirts. I basically blindly follow Mrs. W's advice on what to do in that sense. She's also gotten me a few nice pair of casual shoes to walk around in instead of my gym shoes.

Only recently have I felt comfortable wearing jeans out to anything nicer than a very casual dinner, but I've come around to it, especially if paired with a nice shirt (and blazer if cooler) and a nice pair of shoes.

I've moved away from pleats over the past few years, but have no idea why.

Draft saved Draft deleted