1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's fashion faux pas(es), as reported by yahoo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Feet are ugly.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Who owns more than one pair of shoes?

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Sad but true: I'm 30 and the only time I don't wear a ballcap is weddings/funerals/rare church appearance.

4. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

My dad is guilty of several things. He wears pleated pants (at least the pleat isn't too bad. As soon as I can convince my parents to STOP TUCKING IN THEIR SHIRTS it'll all be good. While it looks professional, what my mother doesn't realize is when she tucks in her shirt, she adds an extra bulge around the waist. Makes her look 20 pounds heavier. Ack.) and he goes through two pairs of tennis shoes every six months because he works outside. He never goes anywhere without a hat, because he's bald and works in Texas and I've seen him get a sunburn on the top of his head several times.

As far as guys my age, if anyone ever approached me with his pants not where they should be, three inches of boxer shorts sticking out wearing an Ed Hardy shirt, I'd reject him so fast his head would spin.

5. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I've seen the anti-pleat sentiment on the board before, but I still like and prefer pleats. Call me old or frumpy or whatever, I don't care--I like the look.

The only one from the list that seemed off base was the baseball cap. I hardly ever wear one, but I don't see the problem with guys who do.

I guess maybe the ultimate faux pas would be wearing a speedo with socks and sandals.

6. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

I loathe these little fashion missives from magazines and newsites.
    You know what, elitist fashionista scribes? Yeah, we have you to thank for everything from bellbottoms to Members Only jackets, trucker hats and wifebeaters to begin with. Yes, you.

You don't like my ballcap? My white sneakers offend when you look down your nose at the rest of us? You abhor the fact that I still cuff the bottom of my jeans? Tough shit.

I'm comfortable and clean.

So, dance your little ass back up the catwalk, roll your little missive into a tight scroll and jam it up Mr. Blackwell's ass.

Thank you.

7. bumpy mcgee

bumpy mcgee Well-Known Member

I can't wait until it's trendy to not wear pants. These things are killing me.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Blue font?
    I own six pairs -- two sets of dress shoes (one brown, one black); a pair of "good" everyday sneakers and an older pair for muddy days or rainy football games; another pair of sneakers for working out or working in the yard (which, BTW, are white); and a pair of cheap slip-ons from Wal-Mart that I wear around the house.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I've been a classic slob sportswriter my whole life, but in the last few months I've decided to start trying to dress like an adult. Spent a lot of time learning on web sites like the askmen.com link. I now am the proud owner of two pairs of shoes, and I'm hoping to add a third to the list soon. Four would be crazy though.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

GQ does a wardrobe and grooming makeover on a guy every month. Within the last year, they made over a 25ish guy and his golf outfit. By putting him in flatfronts and a slim cut golf shirt, they made him look 25 lbs. lighter. It was amazing. He went from looking like a guy in his dad's golf clothes to a much more attractive guy. It was amazing. Fit really matters.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You've got it all wrong. Magazines like Esquire, GQ or Web sites like Ask Men.com don't promote the latest trend like bell bottoms or trucker hats. Not whatsoever. They more or less warn against them at all costs and encourage classic style (and there's a difference between style and "fashion") and fit. It's definitely not worth getting angry about. I know the guidelines may seem arbitrary at times, but most of them developed for a reason.

I own way too many pairs of shoes. Probably 15-20. It's tough to keep track because I've thrown out several pairs recently that have fallen out of rotation. I'm like a woman when it comes to shoes.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I wear my adidas mandals all I can in the summer, though it looks really dumb because I tan well, and the mandals don't hide my glowing white feet.

And most of my khaki's are pleated... because I'm fat. Sorry, Shine.

Draft saved Draft deleted