1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's fashion faux pas(es), as reported by yahoo!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Piotr Rasputin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/beauty/you-voted-men-s-biggest-fashion-crimes-are-ed-hardy-socks-with-sandals-baggy-jeans-2009624/#photoViewer=1

I do exactly none of these, aside from (sort of) the last one. My wife says my Italy jersey is too tight around my ample belly, making me "look like a blue sausage."

But aside from that . . . who wears Ed Hardy? Sandals with socks? Who are these people?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Who wears socks with shoes?

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why any man would wear pleats in 2010, out of anything but plain ignorance, is beyond me. I was shopping for pants the other night at Macy's and couldn't believe the high percentage of them that were pleated. Come on, men. You're better than that.

That being said, I like the Ask Men.com (great Web site, BTW) list better than the Yahoo one:

http://www.askmen.com/grooming/appearance/top-10-common-fashion-mistakes.html

Among the good ones on there:

* White shoes anywhere but the gym.
    * Backpacks on grown-ups.
    * Running shoes anywhere but the running trail.

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

What the fuck are wrong with flip-flops?

5. Dick Whitman

Yeah, that one's dumb.

Some people hate them. Remember the backlash when the Northwestern lacrosse team wore sandals to the White House? Also, my father-in-law was going on one day about how inappropriate it is for women to wear "thongs" out in public.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That sagging jeans thing cannot leave this planet fast enough. Absolutely stupid.

Love white bucks with seersucker.

Stuffed pockets? As Costanza. That's why I have a "murse/messenger bag."

7. What's wrong with pleated pants? I had no idea these were out of "style" now.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I own both flat-front and pleated pants, but I prefer pleated.
    I only caved on the issue several years ago when it was becoming to difficult to find anything but flat-fronts.
    Flat-fronts are trendy. Pleateds are evergreen.

9. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Some people are proud of their frumpiness.

10. Dick Whitman

They look sloppy. You want clean lines. Flat-front pants look far neater. Pleats make you look like an 85-year-old.

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm guilty of the grown man in the baseball cap, although only at very specific times (weekend in the park; morning on the way to the gym).

I'm also guilty of running shoes outside of the gym (from the askmen article). I take old pairs that I have retired for running purposes and wear them as walk-around shoes sometimes.

12. Dick Whitman

This is not true. Flat fronts were actually the style for generations. Find old pictures of Cary Grant, Sinatra, etc., etc. Watch "Mad Men." Almost exclusively flat front. Pleats came around in the '60s or '70s, from what I understand. I have no idea why. They need to go back to from whence they came, permanently.

Draft saved Draft deleted