1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's Bronze Medal Hockey Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fins beat the Slovs 5-3 . Hell of game. Nice warm-up to tomorrow.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Hard-fought battle.

Really sets tomorrow up nicely.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Just re-watched Bronze Medal game. As good as game was there is definite drop off in talent of the Fins and Slavs compared to USA and Canada.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So the Finns won the Bert Bell Benefit Hockey Game?

5. mb

mb Active Member

Canada, yes. But *nobody* in that tournament was close to Canada's talent. They're absolutely even with the U.S., though, IMO.

6. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No one was close? Not even the US team that whooped their ass a week ago and took the gold medal game to overtime on hostile ice?

7. mb

mb Active Member

I thought we were just talking about sheer talent. And, sorry, but Canada had boatloads more talent. I'd argue that the U.S. team was better put together, but there's no way you could ever argue that Canada wasn't much more talented. At least IMO.

How many players off the U.S. team would have even MADE Team Canada?

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If you're saying the sum was greater than the parts, I'll buy it. But I think at that high a level, it's not THAT much greater.

9. mb

mb Active Member

I think that Burke did a masterful job assembling the team. Now, whether that was by design or just because we didn't have enough ultra-talented players, I don't really know.

In looking at the rosters, I think the highest you could go on USA players that would have made Team Canada is 3 (Miller, Kane, Parise). And even that might be high.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think Kesler and Rafalski may have as well.
    The future of American hockey is very bright.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's astonishing but SEVEN of the Canadians on this team were on the 2005 WJ team which ran away with the gold in Grand Forks during the lockout.

Their talent level was off the charts.

I think it's safe to say that Canada/US has replaced Canada/Russia as hockey's biggest rivalry.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I'd say yes to Kesler, but not Rafalski.

Draft saved Draft deleted