1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's basketball beat reporter Knoxville

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Philkaplan, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Brendan F. Quinn has accepted a job as lead Michigan basketball reporter for MLive.com. I hope to fill the position in October with the start of the season in November.
    Brendan has done an exceptional job in reporting, writing, video priduction, social media, and watchdog journalism. I'll be looking for the same in the next hire. Brendan won two APSE writing awards with only seven months of content.
    The beat reporter is responsible for all men's basketball coverage. All games, including road, are covered. The Vols will be in the Bahamas for Thanksgiving.
    The person hired for the position also helps out on football when available and the majority of the other time is covering UT athletic news through open record requests and other trending topics. There's also the possibility you will be in court covering a story or getting police records.
    No phone calls please.
    You can send a resume and clips/links to kaplanp@knoxnews.com
    You can also mail your materials to me.

Phil Kaplan
    Sports Editor
    News Sentinel
    2332 News Sentinel Drive
    Knoxville, TN 37921

Twitter: http://twitter.com/philkaplan

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Phil, wow... that makes two hires by MLive from your paper...

Gets my seal of approval. Knoxville is an underrated city and this is a great paper. :)

3. Zads07

Zads07 Member

Is there a certain range you're looking for in experience?

4. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

You will need experience working in print or online. Hopefully showing how you have covered a beat. The ad that will be posted will say 0-5 years. I will be focusing on the writing and ability to do other platform work (social media, video).

5. CarlSpackler

CarlSpackler Active Member

Ironically, I was interviewed for both of those positions... and in both instances they chose well. Hard to get mad. Actually, makes me feel better about myself to have even made it into the discussion.

6. MiamiBoy

MiamiBoy Active Member

Just got an email saying that they've chosen finalists so they're fairly close to making a hire I'd assume.

7. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

As this is Knoxville, I'd say it's a lot more than a possibility.

8. Philkaplan

Philkaplan Member

Ben Frederickson has been hired as Tennessee men's basketball beat writer. Ben is a regional writer for Fox Sports Midwest and has been covering pro sports in St. Louis and the University of Missouri. Previously he was at Casper Star-Tribune and covered the University of Wyoming. Ben has already won five APSE awards, including two when he was a student at Missouri as a writer for the Columbia Missourian.

9. STLwriter

STLwriter Member

Wow. Seems as though the only criteria you need to get hired by Mr. Kaplan is to own an APSE award.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Or he hired who he feels is the best person for the job.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Exactly. I don't mean to parrot Mile, but sounds like Ben is a very good candidate.

Although Fox Sports Midwest IS based in St. Louis. Will they replace Ben? :)

12. Todd M. Adams

Todd M. Adams Member

I think Phil's track record speaks for itself. Almost everyone he hires ends up going on to bigger and better things. He's got a real eye for talent. And man, can he run, too. You should see him.

Draft saved Draft deleted