1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men's All-American teams

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 16, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Dandy season but a 39.3 percent shooter from the field. Not American enough for me.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

Technically, no. But they want you to vote a team that could "take the court."

3. HejiraHenry

Well, Mississippi State won the SEC title with a forward and four guards ...

4. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Stephen Curry does not belong on that list.
    There are many players in the country who do the same thing he does and not get any credit.
    Curry can shoot well. He cannot pass, dribble, run or play defense. ESPN loves him, so that makes him an All-American.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Could not disagree more. Totally dynamic player; any game he has played in revolved around him.

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Considering that Bob Knight called Curry the best passer in the country and broke it down on video, I'll take your opinion for what it is worth.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Yeah, I'm no Knight fan, but I'm guessing he probably knows what he's talking about. Curry's pretty ridiculous.

No Jarvis Varnado love? Country's leading shot blocker and averaged 13 and 9. It's more legit than when Adonal Foyle led the country in shotblocking at Colgate.

Or Jodie Meeks?

(No, this isn't an SEC thing, but it really looks like it, admittedly.))

8. HejiraHenry

Well, I'm right there in the middle of SEC country. I thought the league's best player certainly belonged.

I gave Varnado some thought, certainly. I can see him on this list next year.

Meeks? He certainly earned first-team All-SEC status, and I voted him as such, but I thought his resume as a potential player of the year in the league was kinda weak.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Yes. There are many players who lead the nation in scoring. (Logical!)
    And there are many players who are top-20 in assists who cannot pass.

10. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Curry was top-25 nationally in assists, and he scored about 40 percent of his team's points. That tells me he's a pretty good passer.
    Also, he helped Davidson's defense hold opponents to less than 40 percent from the field. I'd say he's a decent defender.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The more I think about it, the more I believe Varnado belongs up there, and fairly high.

12. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

After watching him block about 300 shots during the SEC tourney, I'd agree with you. I'd be curious if he was left off the official list after that.

Draft saved Draft deleted