1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men Who Love Goons...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, May 21, 2008.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Saw this posted on James Mirtle's blog today.

Even if you're not a hockey fan, everyone still likes a good tilt.

This piece isn't as much about the fights and the fighters but the fans obsessed with them.

A hockey fan watches a fight and cheers, and maybe gets another beer. A hockey fight fan watches 50 fights in a row on DVD, then goes online to argue about them.

We forget that before Youtube, watching a fight in an AHL/ECHL game was a little difficult.

Great piece.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=goons

On the screen is a brawl. A bench-clearer, the kind hockey doesn't make anymore. Rangers versus Flyers, late 1970s. Frank Beaton and Mel Bridgeman go toe-to-toe. "Great stuff," Nicky V. says. "If these guys took their pants off, their balls would fall to the floor."

2. Flash

Flash Guest

Jesus, Nasty Mirasty has a cult following?

Sun shines on a dog's ass some days.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I know a guy who played in the minors for Chris Nilan. He said when Nilan wasn't scaring the hell out of opposing coaches, he'd show videos of his fights on the bus. My guy can't be 100% certain, but he didn't think he saw the same fight twice.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You covered him?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember the one year that Nilan was put in the All-Star Game in the hope that there would be at least one hit. Didn't happen, though.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think Roenick has the only recorded hit in NHL All-Star history.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

He played for Try Shitty one season. He would have been in Kam-hole two or three times ... his reputation preceded him. Didn't see him much the other years, since he was in the Eastern Conference.

We got Colton Orr one-third of the way into that season.

Good times ... good times.

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

Baron, your larger point is excellent, but I seem to recall Nilan was in the All-Star game because back then, the coaches of the respective All-Star teams got to add some of their guys, as a reward. Mike Milbury, Nilan's coach in Boston, wanted to make triple-sure everybody knew what an incredible douche he was, so he put Chris Nilan on the All-Star roster.

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That was a great read.

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Back when I was covering hockey in the 70s and 80s, in Philly the fans could walk right in front of the press box. Every time I was there, this one guy would always come up to where the visiting writers sat. He had cut out from the newspaper the hockey summaries from my team's games over the past few weeks. He underlined the fighting penalties. He wanted to know who won the fight.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Terrific piece by Patrick Hruby. The type of piece that can both draw in the hardcore puckhead and educate the more casual fan.

Somewhere, Bobby Clarke is writing down names to make sure his organization gets every one of these guys ...

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

You're right, Sam. I read this piece before going to work and actually learned something about the game from it. Not every piece can claim that.

Draft saved Draft deleted