1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men 's Gold Medal Hockey Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Inaccurate but I am honored that you follow my work even if you are only a "casual fan". I welcome all readers.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

40 games available from around the world this weekend.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/soccerinsider/2010/02/weekend_tv_listings_55.html#more

Just saying.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Of course I follow your work. I collect your work.

If I ever teach a writing class, your posts would be great as editing exercises.

I see your search for my "soccer has arrived!" posts has been fruitless, other than when I make fun of those people.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Sorry, disagree.

The reason the gold medal hockey game is the last event of the Olympics is simple: it's the signature event whether you're from the USA, Canada, Russia, Slovakia or Latvia.

Now, if it's a Canada/Slovakia game the ratings will be nothing in the US and over the top in Canada.

If it's a US/Slovakia game, ratings will be awesome in the US and down in Canada.

If it's a Finland/Slovakia game, nada in the US and borderline in Canada

5. Piotr Rasputin

Which is pretty much the fanboy-as-nationalism I was referring to.

6. Boom_70

I did not realize "message board" editing was part of writing class curriculum. You have my permission to use whatever you like.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Ryan Miller is going to break just like Jim Craig broke against the Finns in 1980...

8. Piotr Rasputin

Failed attempts at coherent sentences, no matter where they appeared, are always opportunities to learn what not to do.

Thanks for the permission.

9. Boom_70

Well you seem to be able to understand them so I guess they are a tad coherent.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

This just isn't accurate, check his stats for a month and a half before the olympics.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I absolutely love the idea that all sports journalists would watch this game. JR saying "Well you're obviously a sports journalist or a sports fan, so I'd assume you'd be watching?"

There are plenty of people who cover plenty of sports who couldn't give less of a shit about hockey or the Olympics.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You're making less sense with every post.

TV ratings have nothing to do with what you're talking about

Most people in their respective countries want their athletes to do well. I'm assuming that's a given.

That does not translate into some sort of weird nationalism.

If you think the Olympics are an archaic form of international competition, well, that's another argument.

The fact that I'm cheering for Canada over the US tomorrow has nothing to do with what you're saying

Draft saved Draft deleted