1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men 's Gold Medal Hockey Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Why does Ryan Miller have to break now?

They'll need him, now that Team USA woke up the sleeping giant North of the Border.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Something like 2/3rds of Canadians watched the last U.S.-Canada game. I'm pretty sure no NHL game has gotten 2/3rds of the nation watching. So it's not just an issue in that tharrrr Yoo Ess of Ay, it happens to our betters, too!

Using that logic, nobody has the right to cheer on anyone in any Olympics event because how often do we watch curling and luge during non-Olympic years?

I swear, for as much grief as Americans get for being nationalistic, I'd be willing to wager that no other country has people who display as much shame over their neighbors' cheering habits as the U.S.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Disagree . . . true fans of any sport are there regardless of the on-field, on-ice, or on-court results. "The team in the region I happen to be affiliated with wins at this sport, so now I like it!!!"

What happens when the results no longer allow these "new fans" to run their mouths about their new team's superiority?

It's no different than any other bandwagon. "I USED to be a fan of (fill-in-the-blank), but they kind of suck now . . . "

Mystery Meat II: I enjoy the Olympics because they involve seeing sports you usually don't see. Curling would lose its luster very quickly if it were on more often than every four years. I like to see the United States do well, bit it's not a prerequisite for my enjoyment. I also tire very quickly of the arrogance our sports fans show during every Olympics, winter or summer. It's like we all become Yankee/Lakers/Cowboys/Kentucky basketball fans. But that's another thread.

Sam Mills 51: Law of averages, nothing more. Oh, and the fact that Canada absolutely peppered him in the first game. The chances of standing up to a similar onslaught again?

4. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i still wouldn't care about soccer

5. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

I think Miller has been standing on his head the whole tournament, no use thinking it would be any different now. This is a young squad that understands it takes that dive in front of a shot to win, that's the key to this game.
    I just think that if Miller keeps this up when the NHL season returns, look out.

6. Piotr Rasputin

And as a soccer wonk, I appreciate it.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ryan Miller has been doing it all season. He's not riding an Olympic hot streak. He was the Vezina favorite, in my mind, before the Olympics started.

8. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Exactly, this is the Ryan Miller I watched a couple of years ago when they were close to winning the East and going to the Cup finals but lost to Carolina. I thought then that Miller would be a freaking stud and he's panned out like that.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

This thread definitely needs a BigDog sighting.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You should get rid of that burr because you're not making any sense.

This is not the NHL thread, it's the Olympic hockey thread and I was referring to the people on sj, not the average American. I doubt Bubba will watch most NHL hockey even if the US wins.

If you're posting here, you're presumably either a sports journalist or a sports fan so I assume you'll be watching.

The mens' hockey gold medal game is the most high profile event in the Games. That's why it's one of the last, if not the last events on the final day.

Nationalism has nothing to do with my statement.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Jeff Passan waves the flag:

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/vancouver/ice_hockey/news;_ylt=Ak.TAl5l5igO6nCAsY2PXi97vLYF?slug=jp-canadawins022710&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

"Just remember the team with the best goalkeeper wins more often than not."

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Another fine example of the insecurity of soccer fans. Deal with it. Your sport is a snooze fest. Not even in the same league with hockey as far as excitement and action.

Draft saved Draft deleted