1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men 's Gold Medal Hockey Game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Feb 27, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Given that probably most of sj will be watching this, I think the game deserves its own thread.

I'm not making any predictions---this sucker is too close to call.

Our biggest decision between now and then is where to watch it: home or at The Goose. The Goose will be absolutely freakin' hoppin.

The Canada/Russia rivalry is officially dead.

Canucks versus the Yanks is the new hockey rivalry.

I can't wait for the puck drop

2. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Who'd we decide the pressure was most on?
    I vote for Canada, with its goal-tending issue.
    (And not wanting to be out-done by the women's team.)

I think Canada is going to win.

3. I can very much see this being a 4-1 or 5-2 type win for Canada. I don't have any solid hockey reasons for that, just a gut feeling.

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I am hardly a hockey fan and certainly no expert, but that's the same kind of feeling i get.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I guess I view a rivalry as 2 teams that don't like each other. Don't see that with USA and Canada. Non the less it's going to be a great game.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Tomorrow will be found money for bar owners up here. Sports bars across the country will be packed.

My team's home game has been changed to noon from 2 p.m. to avoid a conflict. If we'd stayed at the original time we would have had a hard time getting officials to work the game, forget about getting fans to come. I'll be wrapping up as soon as I can to boot it to a little house party friends of ours are having.

Canuckistan 4, USA 2

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I repeat my earlier contention that the U.S. has been the more consistent team overall, and therefore I believe they will win. I haven't seen the U.S. give much away, and I've seen Canada give away plenty.

8. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

While of course hoping for my home country, I believe the Americans are simply the better team with better goaltending. I do not trust Luongo in the big game. Canada beat a Russian team that has been spoiled by money and barely got by a gutsy Slovak squad. The Americans, on the other hand, destroyed the Finns in just a few minutes, then graciously took their foot off the gas.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

And that, in a nutshell, is why I have a burr under my saddle on this.

Most of SportsJournalists.com does NOT participate in the NHL thread. Most people in our society need the rules of hockey explained to them . . . oh, but that tharrrr Yoo Ess of Ay is in that tharrr feenal, so yee-haw and whoo-hoo, NOW we're all interested.

Ugh. It's the same crowd that says "I don't like soccer, but now that we won a game in the World Cup, I CARE!!!"

If nationalism annoys me when people say "Support the governent, no matter what!!!" then it annoys me for sports bandwagons.

OK, Rant over.

Canada wins. U.S. goaltending has to break at some point, if only for a period.

10. mb

mb Active Member

If the U.S. has believed all along that it could win the tournament, they're in great shape. If the team never *really* believed they were a gold-medal contender, and is just now coming to terms with being 60 minutes from gold, then things could get ugly.

11. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ryan Miller has been playing great all year. Canada has all that extra pressure on it. Unless the US totally gets overwhelmed by whats at stake, I'm going to say 3-2 USA.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Frankly, sir, I'm a little disappointed with this attitude.
    Hockey isn't the only sport that gets "noticed" more during an Olympic year by non-fans. Big deal. Besides, maybe some people who don't follow it regularly will find themselves interested enough to do so after watching what has been an enjoyable tournament. If not, nothing is lost. If so, well, the sport has some new fans.

True fans of any sport should embrace anything that may bring more into their circle.

Draft saved Draft deleted