1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men in Trees

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Dec 8, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I caught this show tonight on ABC. It's pretty well doomed because it's opposite ER, but I found it interesting. The first few minutes, I felt a Northern Exposure vibe. Then I looked it up on the Web, and it is indeed based in Alaska. It has at least a couple of characters who look like Janine Turner and an Asian/Inuit looking character to kinda serve as a coda. It also is derivative of Desperate Housewives in the use of voiceovers. But it has more of a soap opera/Lifetime Network feel, and it was created in part by a Sex and the City writer. It has Anne Heche (straight this time) as a "relationship doctor" who, as you surely would expect, sucks at relationships.

Anyone else see this?

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

I think it's actually doing pretty well. Not beating ER or CSI: Bismarck, but if you premiere in September and you're still on in December, you're doing OK.

3. dooley_womack1

It ain't beating CSI: Podunk. But as long as it's getting better ratings than a Lyndon Larouche infomercial, no reason to burn a series that's on the front-burner against ER. They moved Brothers and Sisters from that slot to give it a chance to live.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

how about numb3ers: Sioux Falls?

5. dooley_womack1

Not that, either.

Beej, I get the feeling no one else will visit this thread besides us. So how's it going?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's going pretty good Dools. Just watching some Scrubs.

Oh and just because: Albert Pujols is a whiny crybaby. :D :D :D

7. dooley_womack1

A world-chamion crybaby, I'll have you know.

And boy, am I hungry.

8. dog428

dog428 Active Member

Trees is doing unexpectedly well. ABC didn't expect much from it initially, hence the placement on Friday nights. But it grabbed an audience and held on. It's also done a much better job of holding a portion of the Grey's audience than that goofy-ass Six Degrees show since being moved to Thursdays a couple weeks back.

You wanna talk about doing less with more, I give you Six Degrees. Great cast, good characters. Nothing else.

EDIT: As I was clicking off this thread, I noticed the political nonsense in dooley's sig. I simply cannot allow such blatant foolishness to go unanswered. To even suggest that the Hollywood'd-up Murphy is somehow more manly, tougher or "more of a canine" than I am is quite simply a gross misrepresentation of the facts. In fact, it is an outright lie.
    The only pieces in Murphy's stool come from the baked chicken dishes he forces his illegal immigrant housekeeper to make. Over the past few weeks, my campaign staff has taken numerous reports from concerned, ordinary canines concerning Murphy's private tendencies. Just last week, a reputable source confirmed through video evidence that Murphy, when he's off the campaign trail, not only sleeps indoors, but wears hand-knitted sweaters made by Chihuahuas in a south-of-the-border sweatshop. If this evidence wasn't damning enough, another video has recently surfaced that shows Murphy ... this is so damaging that I hesitate to even say it ... but it shows Murphy ... squatting to pee. I know, we were shocked as well.
    But here's the good news: It's not too late. You can still make sure the right vote is cast. Say no to the over-pampered, got-a-bad-case-of-the-gay Murphy. Say yes to the right candidate -- dog428. After all, you want a dog that stands up for the common canines, a dog that humps everything that smells female, a dog that sleeps outdoors like a real dog should, a dog that eats from an 125-pound bag of food made from the shit they deem to nasty to go into a hotdog, a dog that chews up more stuff than fast-food restaurant disposal, a dog ... that raises his leg to pee.
    You want dog428.

9. dooley_womack1

(Love to know how that eating of dog food goes over in the press box. And what accounting thinks when it sees that in your expense report).

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

I hope you don't kiss babies with that mouth.

11. dooley_womack1

Oh, he nuzzles them and licks them.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Before or after licking his ass?

Draft saved Draft deleted