1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Men are pigs...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Sep 5, 2013.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...example No. 23,419.

In India, about one woman per hour is killed over her dowry.

http://www.latimes.com/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-india-dowry-deaths-20130904,0,7340130.story

India's National Crime Records Bureau last week reported that 8,233 Indian women were killed in 2012 in dowry-related violence, or nearly one per hour. The incidence of dowry deaths grew by nearly 3% over the previous five years, and torture at the hands of a husband or family increased by 5.4%, with 99,135 cases reported by survivors in 2011.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

How many in the U.S.?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

By the same people who won't harm a cow...

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let 'em keep working that sex-selection abortion bit and in a few short years this dynamic is going to look a wee bit different ...

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Maybe we should bomb India instead of Syria.

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I live in a city with a huge Indian population and grew up in a city with an even larger one. I have found it quite rare to meet an Indian man older than, say, 40 who has the slightest amount of respect for women. The men born in Canada, sure - but not the ones born there.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's interesting. When I was growing up, I had two close friends who were Sikh and while their fathers treated their mothers very well (at least as far as I could see) the grandparents who lived with them would treat the mothers like shit, even in front of the kids and guests and the wives never really said boo about it. It was just accepted.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh, different cultures are just, um, different. Ever look at treatment of women in the Islamic world?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

No, never have. Maybe you can enlighten us?

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Obviously Mark's an idiot, and you're being sarcastic, but...

When you consider that Muhammad took Aisha as his wife when she was either six or seven, and even by the most generous telling of the tale, consummated the marriage when she was nine or ten, you understand that women are fucked -- literally -- under Islamic tradition.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Next time you go out in public, be sure to cover your face. Paper bags are acceptable.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

For those, like me, who wondered what a dowry is or entails:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowry

Draft saved Draft deleted