1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis looks for college basketball writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by publicenemy, Jun 25, 2006.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I ain't got the Moddy pipeline but I'd wager that the two inside candidates are Jimmy Masilak (Preps, all-purpose Memphis backup), Jason Smith (Preps/Redbirds) and, maybe, Marlon Morgan (Ole Miss/SEC/Redbirds).
    I'd put Jimmy in the lead since he has done quite a bit of Memphis coverage and knows the prep scene. Many of the current Tigers are area locals.

2. 85bears

85bears Member

What does Dan Wolken cover? CU? I know he's a multiple APSE winner.

Gives everyone an idea, by the way, of what kind of resume it takes to bag one of these jobs.

3. Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum Member

Birmingham and Memphis to me are very similar cities and both of these jobs are pretty good. If I were a young, single guy, I probably would take Memphis over Birmingham. Beale Street is better than Southside, IMO. If I were a married, family guy, I would take Birmingham over Memphis 100 times out of 100. There are few places in the country as underrated as Birmingham's over-the-mountain area. Some of the best public schools in America and still affordable compared to most other urban areas of the country. Birmingham metro area suffers from the bad rap of the 1960s, but the suburbs there are great.

As far as the jobs go, both are great career-builder jobs. Do a great job on either of these beats and you will be noticed by the big boys. OTOH, both papers are destination jobs in their state, if that's the route you choose. The both pay pretty well and play up these beats in a big way, as they should.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Dan does Air Force (at least he did a couple years ago, when I saw him at a golf tournament in Vegas) and GA.

Surprises me not at all to see his name in the mix here.

5. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Has Pickle Juice not thrown her name in the mix here?

If so, watch out, Memphis.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'll agree that Birmingham does have some nice scenery, though people who have never been there would look at you funny if you mentioned mountains and Alabama in the same sentence. Besides that, though, I've never seen too much else to get excited about. It's one of the few metro areas in the country that has done nothing to rehabilitate and restore its downtown area. The 5 points area has some cool bars, but it's nothing memorable.

Memphis feels more like a real city with music, culture, nightlife, etc. I have no idea what it's like to live in either place, but just as someone who has been to both places many times I don't really see many similarities. Birmingham to me is more like Jackson or Little Rock. I put Memphis in the same category as Nashville or Louisville or Charlotte as far as Southern cities.

Both are good jobs but very different.

7. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Considering I used to work at The Commercial Appeal, I'd say the atmosphere there is a hundred times greater there with Gary Robinson as ex. sports ed. I honestly think they will give it to someone inside (my actual guess is Marlon) and have one of those from the outside take over the Ole Miss/Redbirds beat.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Ron Higgins might be put back on that beat.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

No reputable sports editor would bring in two people from far away to interview for his premiere job, then offer one of them a lesser job after promoting from within.

9. kamikaze021

kamikaze021 Member

Considering all the time I used to work in Memphis...nothing would surprise me. I've known the SE there since I was about 25 and he's always seemed to have a level head when it comes to people and hirings. So, it's possible he could bring someone in and still go with a local guy. The SEC beat is just as strong, so just because those guys went for one job, doesn't mean they wouldn't possibly get another.

10. Pulitzer Blues

Pulitzer Blues New Member

Dan Wolken who covers Air Force for the Colorado Springs Gazette and Scott Cacciola who covers UConn for the New Haven Register are the two outside candidates who have been brought in for interviews.

Both have won an APSE award , Wolken has won several. Decision expected soon.

11. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

To paraphrase Eddie Murphy in "48 HRS," and keep it clean for the jobs board, that would be John Calipari's worst ... nightmare, man.

12. SEWnSO

SEWnSO Member

PB - news while we were down?

Draft saved Draft deleted