1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis looks for college basketball writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by publicenemy, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

You really care about a "Thanks for applying" email?

2. satchmo

satchmo Member

Not really. But as bitter and petty as I am, it hurts me to know that others got them. That's all. Just a hate-fueled, dark self loathing that drives me.

3. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

One thing you should learn - in this business, very little is personal. You take it that way, you'll spend your career wallowing in this sort of self-pity. And that's no way to go through life, wondering why some sports editor you've never met hasn't sent you a form email telling you that you didn't get the job that he probably had pegged for some guy who already knew (note: Not ripping Wolken here. His record speaks).

Build your resume up. Write a book maybe. Do something with your writing life other than the futile pursuit of jobs that have odds of about 300-1 going in. It seems like everyone's getting these jobs except you. I understand. It's frustrating at times. But remember - there are 299 of you and one (well, two) of him.

Look in the mirror every day and repeat 10 times, "Nothing in this business is personal."

4. satchmo

satchmo Member

While I appreciate the bootstraps speech — and really I do — I was joking. I've been doing this long enough to know who was going to get a phone call and who wasn't. I was just lamenting the fact that some are getting these nice little emails and I appear not to be, and if it weren't for the existence of this board I wouldn't be any the wiser. And, I've met Gary and his boss — all nice folk. I wish them nothing but the best and look forward to reading their new writers' work.

5. Pulitzer Blues

Pulitzer Blues New Member

Getting both Wolken and Cacciola at the same time is a Major Coup for the CA. Not many papers are willing to go after that kind of talent with both fists $$. Congrats to Robinson for pulling off something that is going to elevate his paper in that region and nationally. The Commercial Appeal deserves kudos for their big balls approach. Hats off!

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

That is incredibly rare in this climate to interview two guys for one opening and be able to create another opening to get both. Maybe that was related to Zack McMillan leaving sports? I don't think the CA ever replaced him after he moved to news.

7. The CA did not. And I agree with the previous poster, big move for The CA.

Draft saved Draft deleted