1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis Grizzlies beat writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tommy Deas, Jan 8, 2020.

1. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Could be they are just going with interim writer? Gannett might be waiting in 1Q numbers...position could be frozen. Happens a lot this day and age at Gannett. Or Tommy is just being thorough, 7 weeks after the posting right @Riddick?

cake in the rain likes this.
  2. Jetlife

Jetlife New Member

Thanks for the insight. Don't think it's the interim guy because he covers Memphis Tigers FB, hopefully it's not frozen.

3. Journo27

Journo27 New Member

Can someone explain what frozen means?

4. Jetlife

Jetlife New Member

Someone may jump in and add more nuance, but basically an open position can be 'frozen or not filled until approved by higher ups. Sometimes those frozen positions go away altogether. At my current shop we have two openings and even have a candidate for one, but they haven't been hired yet because of the merger.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

And Gannett is laying off folks today and got horrendous 2019 Q4 reports. So, I wouldn't be shocked if they don't hire or hire this spot and layoff elsewhere. But getting an NBA beat, I am guessing they can't just string qualified, respected candidates along and keep them interested. Not too many reporters are just going to stop searching for jobs lol and wait months for Gannett to maybe not hire anyone in the end.

6. Edward Marlowe

Edward Marlowe New Member

Have organizations like Gannett ever stopped and thought: "Oh, maybe WE'RE the reason why revenue is down?" Sometimes, I think ownership fails to realize maybe this isn't the way to do business in order to keep customers.

Maybe I'm wrong. Also, I'm off topic.

Evan Barnes is doing a terrific job with it right now. Makes me wonder if they're just keeping him on the beat.

studthug12 and Adam94 like this.
  7. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Welcome to the world of journalism.

If newspaper executives knew what they were doing, they wouldn't have looked at the internet as a fad in the 90s, failed foe two decades to monetize and prioritize digital content, or pursued various other wildly ineffective methods of making money.

If you're looking for introspection and self-reflection, you're in the wrong industry.

8. Jetlife

Jetlife New Member

Job back on Indeed and Gannett. Anyone heard about candidates interviewing?

9. SoloFlyer

SoloFlyer Well-Known Member

Jobs get reposted all the time. Doesn't necessarily reflect where the process is, especially in larger organizations.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Yeah, everybody in newspapers failed to come up with a profitable business model. All those local owners who sold were stupid because there was some model to run a newspaper that was a better financial decision than selling.

cake in the rain likes this.
  11. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

I am sure just being thorough and vetting candidates ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted