1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memphis Commercial Appeal up next, again

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by wannabeu, Jan 17, 2010.

1. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Another round of big cuts at the paper. They just laid off about 55 less than two years ago. Looks like this time it could be worse. Really sad.

http://www.memphisflyer.com/TheDailyBuzz/archives/2010/01/16/new-layoffs-at-the-commercial-appeal

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Anyone know if this is going to be a Scripps-wide deal that day?

I only ask because...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I don't mean to strike fear in anyone OTR. I truly don't know here. But that's the way these things have gone lately.

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Guess the closing of that certain newspaper a year ago didn't save them as much as they thought. Of course, had they stuck around, they'd be in control, what with bankruptcy (finally) happening with the competitor.

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious newspapers are taking the slow route to going all online. Consistently reduce staff, beginning putting the word out that copy editors are not valued workers anymore, hacking pages from the sports section reducing it to bare bones, leading up to the total elimination of the print product and going online only with very small staffs.

Hacking the staff in Memphis is a disgrace. That was a fine newspaper. I used to subscribe when I lived there.

6. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy New Member

Hearing two from sports got cut. Can anyone confirm?

Draft saved Draft deleted