1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memories

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

This past weekend, me and my dad took my 7-year old son to his first NFL game.

Made the 6-hour trek through the snow and ice to Arrowhead to see the Titans @ Chiefs.

The Jr. Chef has been marking the days off on his calendar in his room since before Thanksgiving.

He couldn't sleep the night before we left because he was so anxious.

As we were driving up, about every 20 miles, he would pull off his headphones to ask "Are we in Kansas City, yet?"

We get to KC, staying right across the street from Arrowhead, and they have the lights on cleaning the field from the snow, and that just gets him riled up for it even more.

We get to the stadium at about 10:15 for the Noon kick. My bro-in-law and crew are already tail-gating. We get inside, and our seats are 25 rows off the field, behind the goal-post.....fucking primo seats. From the second he gets inside the stadium, he is in an awe-inspiring stare.

It was fucking cold at the game, half-empty stadium....We had the boy all bundled up as well as we could, (Gloves, blanket, stocking hat, ear-muffs, whole thing) got him a new Chiefs Stocking Hat, Tony Gonzalez Jersey.......the whole damn works.

He now has a Tony G. jersey hung up on his wall from his first NFL Game, right next to a John Buck jersey from his first MLB game, and a game-used MLB Ball from his first game.

This may not belong anywhere on this board, but I hear and see other people talking about their important memories, and I just wanted to take the time to share this one.

Thanks.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Nice work Chef.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

cool stuff, dad.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What they said. Great job.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Well done, Chef.

One can't put a price on those sorts of memories.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Pretty awesome. Kid will remember that forever.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

Making your son's first NFL game one in which Herm Edwards is coaching? Isn't that a lot like losing your virginity to a 500-pound prostitute? :D

Good stuff, Chef. I still remember my dad teaching me to keep score at the first Double-A game I ever saw and the first big league homer I ever saw (Tom Brunansky).

And this is why the gentleman who was thinking of taking his daughter to Hannah Montana should do it if he can swing it. Someday, she'll outgrown Hannah Montana. And someday, your son will realize why his dad hates Herm Edwards. But those memories are priceless.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But, and not to take away from this thread...there's a big difference between 5 and 7.

Anyway...super cool, Chef. Sounds like the kid won't be the only one to remember the day forever.

9. That's what I was thinking, too.

We've taken the kid to a couple of games at the Swamp but that was more for my wife than anything. In a couple of years, she'll really enjoy it - if we don't wear her out on football by then.

10. PhantomPunch

PhantomPunch Guest

Great story, Chef. Your boy has a great dad and a fine grampa.

My dad didn't have a clue about the importance of that kind of thing, except for one time: We were in Florida on vacation, and he took my brother and I to a spring training game. Twins vs. Red Sox.

The great Harmon Killebrew hit one out. Rico Petrocelli hit one out, too. It was great to watch. Yaz was still nursing a hammie pull or something (or maybe a night on the town), but we did watch him run in the outfield.

Killebrew's shot went a mile up and a mile out. I'll never forget it.

I wish my dad woulda done it more often, and definitely more than once.

Make sure you keep giving your kids those thrills.

11. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I live in one of the biggest cities in the country, am 25 years old, and have never been to an NFL game. Your son is a lucky guy, Chef.

12. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

What kind of dad gets his son a JOHN BUCK jersey???

:D

Draft saved Draft deleted