1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memories as a kindergartener...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Backyardigan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Three thoughts:

* I turned down a chance to go the the MLB All-Star Game back in the day at Anaheim Stadium because I didn't want to fork over $25 for the ticket. Bo Jackson homered and stole a base to win the MVP award. I'm still kicking myself for not going.

* She will remember more that you spent the time and sacrifice to take her more than she will remember seeing Hannah Montana live. She will outgrow Hannah Montana -- the hope is that she will never outgrow you.

* I never went to kindergarten. It's overrated (tho' my wife is a kindergarten teacher!).

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Given what we've heard - and some comments following - I think you take her.

You've already analyzed any potential pitfalls, and unless this causes you and yours not to eat or to have to shiver in your own dwelling, go do this. She'll remember this for the rest of her life.

The day Duke's men's basketball team came back from the 1986 Final Four in Dallas, my mother (a devout alum) and I made the trek to Durham. It didn't cost much, but the experience was unforgettable, Mike Krzyzewski was nice and waved hello to my mother and I got the autographs of three of the players, including my all-time favorite. I still have those autographs on the back of a bank statement.

My stepfather once cut class (he went back to school to use up his educational benefits after retiring from the military) to take me to the state fair one day. Maybe it was a break for him, too ... but I didn't forget that. And after finding out that he bought me my first bicycle - months before he and my mother married - I almost break down at the mere thought of such a gesture given that my mother didn't have two dimes to rub together at the time.

There are other great stories of note upthread. Give your daughter a similar memory.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Hey guys, remember that first Red Sox/Cubs/Browns/Cowboys/Lakers/Whatever game your dad took you to? This is that for a little girl right now. Take her.

I'm sure I had lots of good quality days with my parents when I was that age, but the ones I still remember are the big-impact events.

And McNulty? Great handle, but you get dumber with every post.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

On an unrelated (sort of) note.

Your kid's kindergarten teacher should be fired. 90 minutes a night? At what age will she hate school? 7? 8?

She sits in the teacher's class for 6-7 hours a day, and she still cannot all the shit taught? WTF?

Somehow let the school admin that she is getting that much each night.

And fuck all of you who voted Bush (twice) and his idiotic No Child Left Behind policies. He still didn't get his fucking vouchers.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I have a similar memory of an ABA game from when I was 5 or 6. I saw Dr. J play and we were sitting way down low. My dad never did stuff like that, wasn't a basketball fan, and we were with a group of his friends, but it made such an impression on me. I didn't really become more of a basketball fan until my early teens, and it started with college basketball (around the time of the Jordan/Perkins/Worthy UNC team) and then the NBA (Bernard King/Hubie Brown Knicks), but that Nets game when I was 5 or 6 stuck with me so vividly for some reason. I can remember so many details from it.

6. Missing two days of kindergarten will not jeopardize the young 'yardigan's chances to get into MIT, Officer.
    I promise.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, where's she going to eat paste if she's not in school?

Also, 'YOUR JOB AS A PARENT IS TO TELL YOUR KIDS NO' is the saddest thing I ever read on this board.

Your job is to make decisions...sometimes yes, sometimes no.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Here's what I remember about kindergarten: The towel my mom got me to lay on at nap time. It was red and gold. Woo. Hoo. If my folks had managed to take me to a baseball game during that time, I'd have remembered that.

If you need any more convincing, watch City Slickers. "My dad took me to the Yankees game. Taught me how to keep score. Mickey hit one out." You can't get memories like that sitting in kindergarten.

9. 93Devil

But going along with what McNulty said, that Yanks game didn't cost $500.

He was wrong with the delivery, but I get the point.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

11. 93Devil

12. About the homework thing: she's actually in a K-1 class, where they mix kindergarten kids and first-graders, so I think that might be one of the reasons for so much work. The kids are supposed to read 30 minutes (or have parents read to them) every night except for Friday, and then do other work - like write each of their 10 spelling words in a sentence, and write each of them five times. They are also supposed to study those words too.

Might not sound like 90 minutes, but remember these kids have to slowly draw out each letter and a 5-year old's attention span isn't always the best.

She's smart enough to handle it, but it is something that is required by all the K-1 teachers at the school. (I'm not sure if it is district-wide, but I have even heard a couple of administrators complain about it).

For those who have asked, she hasn't missed a day of school yet, and the lateness of the concert might not be as big of an issue. She is usually up until 9:30 most nights, because her school doesn't start until 9 a.m. (she gets up at 8.)

I wouldn't say money is the biggest factor in this. She won't starve or have to bundle up at night if we go. But certainly there are extra costs involved, and I realize that (although some of that wouldn't be as bad, because we can stay at my parents' house).

I appreciate the memories that folks have mentioned. I remember my dad taking me to a Reds game at age 8, and I'll never forget waiting outside the locker room to get a glimpse of Joe Morgan. But at 5, I'm just trying to gauge the impact this would have for her. (some of you have said it's foolish to do this - maybe it is).

I'll be pondering this for a few more days. A couple logistical issues have crept into this as well, (involving me - not my daughter), so that might keep us from going too. I'll think it over, and like one poster said, I can't look back once I decide.

But I appreciate all the feedback, even the negative stuff. Thanks everyone.

Draft saved Draft deleted