1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memories as a kindergartener...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by The Backyardigan, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Hi all,
    Got a small issue I am wrestling with here. My 5-year old daughter likes a certain singer with the same last name as a state, and was disappointed when we didn't see her when she came to town.

Well, lo and behold, Miss Montana is coming to where my parents live in January, and Saturday, on a whim, I tried to get tickets when they went on sale.

I got two.

My daughter has no idea I have them, and it would be a really cool Christmas present for her, but there are a few other things at play here.

1. She'd have to miss two days of school to go (it is a six-hour drive).
    2. The seats are not close (straight on, but on the upper level on the other side of the arena)
    3. Full disclosure: finances are not great right now to say the least, and I could probably make $300 by selling them.

On the other hand, she is a fairly big fan - she knows most of the songs and one of her most prized Christmas requests was for a Hannah Montana Barbie. I tried to gauge it yesterday in casual conversation, mentioning about upcoming shows but also telling her that tickets aren't always close. She actually had a good answer - 'I could watch her from the big screen.' (how does a 5-year old know that?)

If she was 8 or 10, I'd definitely keep the tickets. But at 5, I know likes and memories can be fickle. How much do you remember from that age? What would you do if you were me? Thanks for reading.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I remember going to my first Cubs game in 1984. I was 3.

Your daughter will remember this. Trust me.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

You would honestly think of letting your five-year-old sit by strangers at a concert? Alone??

Sell them. She will not be traumatized by not going to the concert. I promise.

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

I think he means they are not close to the stage ....

5. I would be going with her. (that's why I said I had two tickets) thought that was clear. The seats are together, just far away from Hannah Montana.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Take the kid and a camera. She'll remember the show, and you'll feel so much better than you would by making a cool $300 for scalping.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Take her to the show.

Not only will it be a memory for her (and one she may never forget), but you'll also take the memory of her beaming smile with you for years and years.

They grow up too fast.

8. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My apologies, the caffeine hasn't kicked in yet.

In that case, go. It doesn't matter how close to the stage, just that she'll be there. With you.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Don't worry about her missing school (as long as she hasn't missed too many days already). It's kindergarten. It's not like she has any final exams to study for.

It sucks right now about finances. But years from now, you don't want to be kicking yourself over not spending quality time with your daughter.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Absolutely take her. And why would she have to miss two days of school if the show is Saturday and it's a six-hour drive?

11. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I think he meant that on Saturday, he got the tickets.

12. Sell one ticket, hide her in a backpack and enjoy.

Draft saved Draft deleted