1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo To Chris Jones

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Dec 6, 2012.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Hey Jones my curiosity was piqued after reading your "Great American Things" story on bowling / Pete Weber.
    You used Weber as example of how the everyman could become famous in the sport of bowling. Were you aware that Weber is the son of perhaps the most famous professional bowler ever - Dick Weber? Wondering if his ability is less preternatural and more the fact that his father started him bowling when he was 2 years old? Certainly some of his fame in bowling comes from name recognition.

http://www.esquire.com/features/great-american-things-1212-pro-bowling#slide-7

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Odd that you would know so much about bowling.

When dominant athletes can have dominant athletes as children, that strengthens Jones' point that any body could be good at this with enough training. Some people feel this way about NASCAR.

It's why Jordan, Montana, Elway, Rose and many others did not have superstar children.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hush
    Hush your mouth about Petie Rose.

4. Boom_70

Why is that odd?
    Just the same it might have weakened his premise if he mentioned that Pete Weber was the son of Dick Weber - the most famous of all Professional bowlers. maybe he was not aware of that fact.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

93Devil, I don't understand your point. Those athletes' offspring come from a wealth of genetic talent. Even Michael Jordan's sons were very good high school players, woth Marcus becoming an excellent college player.

6. 93Devil

Knowing Earl Anthony and Mark Roth gives me 99% more bowling history knowledge than other Americans.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

8. 93Devil

But not GOATs like their fathers.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gods, both of 'em.

I seem to recall someone - might have been Norman Chad - arguing in a column in The National (RIP) that Brian Voss was the baddest athlete alive.

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'd guess that a genetic correlation is probably stronger in some sports/skills than others over a pretty wide range. Bowling is probably on the lower end of the range. But I'd also have to think there are combinations of desirable yet less physically evident traits -- psychological, visual acuity, etc. -- that can be passed on from champion to an offspring. In addition to knowledge.

11. Boom_70

So I know of John Petraglia which puts me ahead of you in bowling knowledge :)

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Unless you reference Guppy Troup's trousers you're not referencing shit about bowling.

Draft saved Draft deleted