1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo to Bill Rhoden - It's not 1969 Anymore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

I don't think he ignores reality. He just choses to go down the same road and usually hits the same bumps. There's nothing wrong with his feeling the way that he does. He's entitled to it. People for the most part have a problem talking about racial issues. Rhoden doesn't.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

There's a big difference between being willing to discuss racial issues and turning every issue into an issue of race.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

No question, there is a difference. I think Bill, and I'm not Bill, just likes doing it his way.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Exactly - Phil Simms is the poster boy for young QB's under pressure. Young has it easy with Jeff Fischer. Simms had to deal with 2 of the biggest hardass coaches in football - Ray Perkins and Bill Parcells.

Imagine Vince Young with Parcells - he really would have cracked.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Boom, we don't know what's playing on in Young's mind. My main worry about this incident is that people are going to perceive that he can't handle stress. Fanatics, or fans, can be ruthless and there won't be any kind words spoken to him on the road. This situation, which may not be as big of a deal, could develop into something that hasn't been seen in sports since Jimmy Piersall who once said, "Probably the best thing that ever happened to me was going nuts. "

6. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

ok fair enough but one thing for certain - his problems have not developed because he is feeling the pressure of being a black QB. If possible playing at UT might put more pressure on a player than the NFL.

Draft saved Draft deleted