1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo to Bill Rhoden - It's not 1969 Anymore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

While race may play a factor, it's not the overriding factor in the Vince Young story. The people in Nashville love him. They booed and rightfully so. He was awful.
    I understand where Rhoden was coming from but this goes a little deeper than the color of the player's skin.
    Personally, I have a major problem with a personal issue being released publicly by a part time team therapist. Now, everyone is looking at this young man and wondering if he's going to lose it everytime he make a mistake on the field. That's a microscope no one wants or needs to be under.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As I understand it the information filtered out from a police report.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

And I also believe that some filtered out through the Titans.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

It's 1969, OK?

I have an affinity for that year, 'cause I was born in '69:

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

I've got an affinity for 69 too.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

James Harris also had it 100 times tougher than Young in high school and college. I'm pretty sure that playing at Grambling in the 1960s wasn't quite as big-time as being the marquee athlete at the University of Texas in the 21st century. And I'm sure Harris had to earn everything he got in the NFL, unlike Vince, who was handed the starting job and has kept it, despite a clear lack of results.

7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agreed ... Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, Kerry Collins, Chad Pennington, Joey Harrington, Carr, Leinart, etc. And that's just current.

8. Boom_70

Jim Plunket, Todd Blackledge, Phil Simms,

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

You could name many QBs who have failed. However, I don't think race has anything to do with this. Bill Rhoden just took the racial angle and he made his point.
    But I want to know is what is going to happen when he is booed again? Wll the Titans call the cops, Dr. Phil or the team shrink? It is bound to happen. And if it should happen on the road, oh my goodness. This information about him should've never been uncovered.

10. Boom_70

But Bill Rhoden always takes a racial angle whether it is accurate or not.

Last year Rhoden blamed Michael Vick's troubles on race and never recanted when proven wrong.

It's a tired broken record from Rhoden. In fact it borders on insulting to most sports fans who have moved well beyond looking at the racial makeup of players on the field.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Rhoden's article quotes McNabb with essentially saying black QBs, because there are so few of them, are on an Island of sorts.

This week, the following teams started black QBs: Philadelphia, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Minnesota, Oakland and Washington. (I could be off a bit ... someone feel free to correct me). Had Vince Young not gotten hurt last week, he would have started for the Titans. Had Michael Vick not put himself out of football for reasons wholly of his own doing, he would still be starting for Atlanta. That's eight teams, which is a quarter of the NFL. McNabb isn't as lonely as he thinks he is.

12. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Yeah. Never mind the quiet implicit thought carried by many that blacks are inherently low browed thinkers, and are quicker to question their judgment off the bat compared to others.

yeah. That thought process simply doesn't exist anymore.

Draft saved Draft deleted