1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo to Bill Rhoden - It's not 1969 Anymore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Today's column provides cover for Vince Young by saying his problems stem from the pressure on a black QB. One of the examples he uses - James Harris who started for The Bills in 1969.

I submit that Youngs problems have nothing to do with race. There are countless examples of QB's who have washed out when expectations are raised way too early. Add Vince Young to the long list.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/14/sports/football/14rhoden.html?_r=1&ref=sports&oref=slogin

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Not that such a take is shocking from Rhoden, but is there a link?

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

No shit, don't expect comments if you're not gonna provide a link.

4. Boom_70

Sorry Phoney - did not expect coments. Just wanted to see how many members I could piss off by not posting the link.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think you can sub QBs for athletes and it might work better.

6. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Ah, we're waiting for a comment, Stoney... ;D

It's nice that Rhoden enjoys adding historical context to his columns, but I agree with Boom, this is 2008, not 1969. James Harris wasn't telling his shrink about committing suicide after getting booed in a game, or having his mama tell a newspaper that her baby "is hurting inside" (and not feeding him chicken).

Vince's got issues: maturity and mental-wise at this point. But, for me, a far bigger issue is the taboo issue of mental health in sports, which is another subject thread for another day.

Rhoden needs to stop using race as an excuse for the majority of the problems that most athletes have.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If he did that, he wouldn't have anything to write about

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What is up with quarterbacks based or once-based in the southern plains who need chicken fed to them? Isn't this what set off that yokel Mike Gundy at Oklahoma State last year?

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Must you always stir shit...

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

This is why I don't read the newspaper! Makes me wanna puke.

11. Boom_70

Exactly D3 - Rhoden needs to stop using race to explain/ excuse every questionable action by an athlete.

It's ironic that Young's replacement - Kerry Collins ran into the same pressure problems early in his career.

12. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

The similarities between Bobby Reid and Vince Young off the field are striking: both from Houston, both raised by (apparently) strong-willed single mothers who are willing to talk to the media. And both deal with pressure poorly; Reid reportedly considered quitting OSU's team a number of times, just like Young's been reported as wanting to quit the Titans.

Draft saved Draft deleted