1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Memo suggests FBI had mole inside ABC News

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That could be a giveaway.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't think the headline of the story matches the info contained.

This guy wasn't a mole. He wasn't "recruited" by the FBI and he didn't "serve" them over any period of time.

While the FBI may have created a file for/on him, there's no indication that he knew that.

On one, single occasion, he passed information along to the FBI. He did this in the wake of the deadliest terrorist attack on our homeland that the nation had, perhaps, ever seen up until that time.

He did it because he had information that other attempts may have been imminent.

Now, it doesn't look like he followed ABC News protocol, in which he was supposed to let the President of ABC News know about the information and make the call.

Maybe he didn't feel like he had enough time. Maybe he couldn't get a hold of the President. Maybe he fucked up.

A year later, in a follow up interview, he gives the FBI the name of his source. To me, that's the bigger and perhaps only "crime" in the matter.

I don't know why he did it. Maybe he didn't feel bound to the source since the info turned out to be wrong.

But, what ever you feel about what he did, even if you think he broke every journalistic ethic, I don't think "mole" fits his description.

He wasn't working at ABC News on behalf of the FBI. He wasn't rooting around, looking for info to pass along. He wasn't recruited. he didn't "work" for them for any length of time.

3. YankeeFan

Not John Miller, but the guy who organized his interview with OBL in 1998:

Isham organized the first major network interview with Osama bin Laden in May 1998 and he and his unit broke numerous stories relating to the ongoing threat of international terrorism.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/08/16/broadcasts/main3175436.shtml

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

And lets not be so naive to think that some of the "legends" of the business haven't shared info with the government at various levels in the last 100 years or so.

5. YankeeFan

6. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

"The Plain Dealer"?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I like it. But I would never be a mole. Maybe a vole, though.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

OK then..."Deuce"

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Outing alert. Ace is Najeh Davenport

Draft saved Draft deleted