1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Melky Cabrera DQ's himself from batting title

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The former. I wish that had happened, too. Or that he had been leading in RBI's or home runs instead, although those titles don't seem as mythical as the batting title, which has a unique aura in the sport.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

There's not a chance in hell we'd be having this discussion if he qualified without the addition of the phantom plate appearances. He'd be the batting champion and we would deal with it.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

We also wouldn't be having this conversation without the Tony Gwynn rule. He wouldn't qualify, and we'd move on with life because no one would want to amend the rule book to help Cabrera. But it's on the books. That's the problem I have. The rule exists, so we must follow it.

4. cranberry

If all of the key stakeholders -- player, Players Association, MLB -- agree to amend a rule and by all accounts the amendment helps justly avoid a situation that might otherwise have led to an unfair outcome, why would it be a problem for anyone?

I just view this as an evolution of the rules that suggests that the Tony Gwynn rule doesn't apply to you if you fall short of plate appearances because of suspension. I agree it would have been better if they had considered suspended players when the rule (which I never liked, anyway) first came into effect. Still, it's better to act late than allow something unfair to occur.

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

You can't be convicted of a crime before it becomes a crime. Change the rule in the offseason to avoid it in the future. Or, better still, get rid of the rule in the offseason. Make it a hard cap of 502 plate appearances in a 162-game season. By the rules that define this season, Melky Cabrera is the National League batting champion unless Andrew McCutchen hits .700 or something the rest of the season.

6. cranberry

There's no rule, or lockdown at the beginning of each season, that says rules can't be amended in mid-season. Common sense prevailed in this case.

7. Dick Whitman

It can be argued that the rule isn't being amended, but rather that this is the equivalent of an activist judge - or even a pragmatist judge - making a non-literal interpretation of a particular law. Here, a literal application of the words of the by-law to this situation would lead to an absurd result. Therefore, this couldn't have been what the drafters of the by-law intended. At least so would go the argument.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The more I look at it, the stronger I fall on this side of it.

I don't like the "rule of law" idea that seems to be prevailing. This is a private business within the entertainment industry that saw a huge PR headache coming and fixed it. People may attach a certain sanctity to it, which I understand, but the slippery slope and precedent stuff gets a little overblown. They have created a whole little world for themselves and there isn't really a Constitution they need to follow for this sort of thing.

9. Dick Whitman

Oh, that's what happened. They knew the result they wanted, then worked backward to get it. The way they seized upon is a tortured reading of the by-law, but it's still like a 1 percent plausible reading and 99 percent implausible.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I don't consider Melky Cabrera winning the batting title to be absurd. If that were the case, would you find it absurd if the Giants get rained out in the final game of the regular season? He led the NL in batting average, therefore he is the batting champion.

11. Dick Whitman

But at that point, you aren't using the Gwynn exception any more. The absurdity is using the Gwynn exception to crown someone who lost those PA's due to suspension, not to someone suspended winning the batting title at all.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Unfortunately the Diamondbacks have a roof, and the average rainfall in San Diego and Los Angeles is a quarter-inch for the entire month of September.

Maybe there will be some rioting. That could cancel a game.

Draft saved Draft deleted