1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Melissa Isaacson's 'Fade to Black' -- an Alzheimer's story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Jan 13, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Please, if you do nothing else today, read Missy Isaacson's gut-wrenching piece from today's Chicago Trib magazine, about losing both of her parents to Alzheimers.

Just a beautiful and touching story.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/chi-mxa0113magalzheimerjan13,0,1988190.story?coll=chi_tab01_layout

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I always make a point of reading her sports takeouts. I'll read this later when I get the time. Thanks, 21.

3. Rambler

Rambler Member

I came on to post this, 21. Nice job.

I had to stop a few times because I couldn't read through the tears.

4. accguy

accguy Member

What a powerful story. I only know Missy a little bit through seeing her at big events (I think we had seats next to each other at a couple of regionals or Final Fours or whatnot) and through a couple of mutual friends/colleagues. I can only imagine how difficult that was.

5. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

This was very well done. Very matter-of-fact. I really do appreciate stories told in this manner, though of course, Melissa arrived at this story through the worst possible circumstances.

6. Wow. What a story.

That's all I can say right now.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

This is a very powerful excerpt...

"Occasionally, they speak to one another, though very rarely in any manner that makes sense. But every night, after dinner, Jimmy and Maria sit the two of them next to each other on the den couch, place my mother's hand in my father's and leave them there alone together. They never pull apart, Maria says. Somehow, this is one thing that seems to make sense to them."

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Amazing story. But I just can't even imagine...

9. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Great, but sad story. I'm glad I have the news on and am im-ing a friend or else I would have shed more tears than I did.

This part hit home:
    My grandma with Alzheimer's fell on Christmas day and fractured her hip. My parents were down in Fla., this past week to help out my aunt who takes care of my grandma.

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

And I walk away from reading this story, with tears in my eyes, thinking, "my gosh how powerful the written word can be."

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

What a fascinating, heart-breaking story. Missy told it beautifully.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

My mom died when I was 21. My dad is near the end and it has been hard to watch. I don't have a story half as heartbreaking as that one to tell. I still hope that one day I do my parents half as proud as she did hers. I'm trying to focus on the love I read in her words more than the sorrow I am feeling.

Draft saved Draft deleted