1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mel Tells the Jews He's Sorry (after ABC mini-series cancelled)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 1, 2006.

1. "Well, what do you wanna hear, man? Do you wanna hear that sometimes I think about eatin' a bullet? Huh? Well, I do! I even got a special bullet for the occasion with a hollow point, look! Make sure it blows the back of my goddamned head out and do the job right! Every single day I wake up and I think of a reason not to do it! Every single day! You know why I don't do it? This is gonna make you laugh! You know why I don't do it? The Jews! Those fucking Jews! Now that's the reason!" - Mel Gibson Lethal Weapon directors cut

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Just did some reading on Mel Gibson. Ran across this:

This skates very close to the crap you hear from Holocaust deniers, who won't outright say that Jews weren't persecuted, but will try to create doubt about the scale of murder that took place. Knowing about his dad--and now hearing about his drunken rant--it's really hard to give him the benefit of the doubt for having at best, used clumsy language. It sounds more like he is trying to minimize the Holocaust. What made the Holocaust unique is that it systematically sought to murder a people of a whole religion. In terms of scope and intention, nothing comes close. Any attempt to create a moral equivalency is an attempt to try to make people forget the scope of the horror. But the bottom line is that the Germans intent was to exterminate an entire religion of people and they succeeded on a mindnumbingly large scale--more than 6 million Jews were starved, gassed or shot in the Nazi death camps. Lumping it in with the tens of millions of people who died during WWII is an attempt to minimize it, the horrid circumstances under which it was carried out and its significance.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It says a lot that when asked if the Holocaust happened, he goes on a rant like that.

He couldn't just say "Yes."

The guy's a fricking bigot.

4. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Someone brought this up earlier, but the Christopher Hitchens essay on Slate is about all that needs to be said on this subject. If you get stopped for DWI and the first thing out of your mouth is to blame the Jews...you're an anti-Semitic nut. I mean, that's pretty hardcore...that's not like getting hammered and making a "Jews are cheap" or "Jewish girls are bad in bed" joke.

5. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

has he not learned from the current crisis in the middle east? don't fuck with the jews. it does not bode well for you.

6. "Hamlet is of the faction that is wronged; The Jews are poor Hamlet's enemy."

Mel Gibson in director's cut of Hamlet

7. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

I find it interesting that some people don't think Mel Gibson should be forgiven, or that he can be redeemed for his comments, yet some think Andrea Yates deserves sympathy.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Andrea Yates is very, very, very clearly ill.

Mel Gibson is very, very, very rich.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

What's that got to do with the price of tea in China?

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So?

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Don't we have an Andrea Yates thread?

One has nothing to do with the other.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

This still cracks me up. Do it again. :) :D ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted