1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mel Tells the Jews He's Sorry (after ABC mini-series cancelled)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 1, 2006.

1. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Still to come: Gibson's apology to the Sugartits community. (defamer)

2. dog428

dog428 Active Member

No. I think I got the meaning of his statement, since I'm going by the words he actually used. And those words Foxman used to describe the apology were "unremorseful," which was clearly innaccurate since Gibson asked pretty much every Jewish person alive and dead at least three times to forgive him and outlined the steps he would be taking to attempt to right this wrong, and "insufficient," which, considering he's now issued two apologies, with the latest one going on and on and on, is also inaccurate.

Now, if you want to argue that all of that is insincere, have at it. But that's not what Foxman said. Not even close. And unremorseful and insufficient don't equal insincere.

3. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i hope he is sincere for himself, and not for his career. if that is so, i probably could forgive him for a sum of money and a part in a movie.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

His apology could be read as someone purportedly willing to do whatever he can to salvage his reputation as opposed to someone who is truly horrified by his remarks and abjectly apologetic.

5. leo1

leo1 Active Member

i'm jewish. i don't forgive him. my people carry grudges. that's why i rooted against germany in the world cup.

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Anyone else think Mel's father is sitting at home going "What did he say wrong?"
    He's just as big an idiot.

7. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I'm not commenting on whether or not his apology is sincere. Only time will tell that. I simply took issue with this Foxman guy calling the apology unremorseful and insufficient. I don't know how much more remorseful it could've been and I think, with that being the case, the apology is sufficient. It's words on paper, how much can it actually be?

Like I said, what he does from here to back up those words will be the real tell and everyone knows that. So, I'm having a hard time understanding what more Foxman wanted from him right now.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

9. Maybe it's just because I'm not a bigot, but I don't get anti-Semitism -- at least not as far as viewing Jews as "Christ-killers."
    First off, the text of the Bible is pretty clear that it was the Romans who crucified him.
    Secondly, Christian theology is pretty clear that Christ had to be crucified and it is each and every person in the world that is responsible for this.

So in that sense, I'm a Christ-killer. I friggin' hate me!

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

okie, there's nothing to get. true anti-semites are have the same brain malfunction as racists.

a racist has no doubt that people of a different race than him are inferior. to a die hard racist, it's not up for debate; he knows it's true and he uses circular reasoning to explain it. to a rational human being this defies logic but there you have it.

11. Well, that's kinda my point. I am not a racist, so I don't understand racism.
    But as far as hating Jews as a race, I don't see how it's any different than hating black people, for example. It's silly and stupid, but I realize it exists in the world.
    Saying Jews are Christ-killer is a different level, though, I'd say. And even if one doesn't accept the argument that Christ was Jewish (that's sort of a gray area; if he was divine, he was basically above participating in a religion), the disciples clearly were, as were all the revered people in the Old Testament.
    I mean, how many Christians (of any sect) are going to say, "You know, that Moses was just worthless. And I hope Abraham is burning in Hell!"

12. "They can take our lives - but they'll never take our freedom - those fucking Jews." - Mel Gibson in Braveheart directors cut.

Draft saved Draft deleted