1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mel Tells the Jews He's Sorry (after ABC mini-series cancelled)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I laughed as well. Glad I wasn't the only one.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

My Rabbi will be so proud.

4. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I don't really understand the hate Mel Gibson receives. And I'm not talking about some feelings that were sparked by this incident. It's obvious several people, including quite a few here, had something against the guy before this.

Obviously, the things he said and the fact he was drinking and driving weren't exactly great character traits. But at the same time, he's issued this apology that seems pretty strong and sincere. He's also entered rehab for his drinking problem.

I don't know, call me crazy, but for some reason I kind of believe the guy got drunk, did something stupid, said something even stupider and was genuinely ashamed of it all the next day. And I'm not understanding why Gibson doesn't get the chance to at least attempt to prove he's sincere. It's not like he's been some sort of poster boy for this kind of shit. As far as I can remember, this is the first time he's ever been involved in something like this.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're right, dog. I did have something against him. Anti-semitism does that to me every time.

6. dog428

dog428 Active Member

There was some evidence of anti-semitism before this incident?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's long been thought that Mel was an anti-Semite. His father is (famously in Australia) and is a Holocaust denier.

So if those ugly thoughts rattle around in Mel's head as well, it takes some of the luster off his movie star appeal. And also, if he professes to be a devout Christian, I really don't see how you reconcile that with a hatred of Jews. So it makes him a hypocrite as well.

8. Who thought it was a good idea to give a Holocaust miniseries to the son of a Holocaust denier and somebody who larded up his lucrative little snuff film with extra-scriptural hooey from traditional anti-Semitic Catholic sources?
    Nice, ABC.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Christopher Hitchens is not amused:

http://www.slate.com/id/2146880/nav/tap1/

One does not abruptly decide, between the first and second vodka, or the ticks of the indicator of velocity, that the Protocols of the Learned Elders of Zion are valid after all.

I think he's about as good as dead in Hollywood.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Well, we sent around a quick email to all the Jews, just to hash this out....all agreed Mel can be forgiven when he goes over to Israel, picks up a gun, and marches into Lebanon.

Otherwise, we got bigger problems than this twit.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think, dog, that simply making a movie like Passion, which was essentially a film version of the passion plays that have always been used to rouse anti-Jewish sentiment, was enough of an indicator of anti-semitism to a lot of people.

That and his dad being shit nuts and denying the holocaust to anyone who'll listen.

BTW, Hitchens is dead right. Being drunk isn't an excuse for bigotry. I've done a lot of things wrong while drunk, but I've never felt hatred toward Jews while drinking.

And I drink quite a bit.

21 --
    That's a hell of a listserv you've got. Can you tell my friend Simon I want my johnny cash cd's back?

12. Duane Postum

Duane Postum Member

Dammit, JR, you beat me to it.

Check out the other links with this Slate package, too. Mel's a real piece of work.

Draft saved Draft deleted