1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mel Hall -- Sexual Predator

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 16, 2014.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

A lot more than the ones we know about from the story, it sounds like.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Imagine how efficient the social media age would have been for Mel.

With The Yankees drawing less than 2 mil a year at that time I just don't think that
    they were as image conscious as they are now

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

At my church anyone who works with kids/youth has to go through abuse prevention training once a year. It's a very unpleasant afternoon of videos, let me tell you. What strikes me about this story is how similar it is to several of the stories in those videos: Predator cultivates the family as much as he cultivates his victim. Indeed, often the family is an unwitting abetter of the abuse (although as Amy points out, the first family in this story doesn't seem all that unwitting).

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

What I find even more crazy is that he was a millionaire major league ballplayer. There weren't enough women over 18 for him to fuck? Why spend so much time, money and effort to go after 14 and 15 year-olds.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Um, because he liked em young? Seems evident that was a big part of the attraction.

And yes, the parental FAIL is appalling here.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

When this was happening, I worked with a kid fresh out of high school who was from Fairfield, and knew this girl. He told me the whole story at the time. It was common knowledge in Fairfield that Mel Hall was living with this girl and her family.

When you're picking the girl up from school in a limo, it's not like you're hiding it. Weird to read about it so much later.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

And as the author noted, the Yankees' PR director from that era is now executive director of the Hall of Fame.

Great read (if difficult to get through at times). The author also wrote about Dave Meggett earlier this year:

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2014/1/21/5320000/david-meggett-criminal-history-profile

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

He gave her a Cavalier? A Cavalier? That should have been the end right there. Cheap bastard.

9. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

That was Don Slaught's nickname.

10. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Fascinating, if disturbing, read. For what it's worth, MelHallJr.com is available.

And I'm trying to schedule an interview with another inmate at the prison in Texas where Hall is incarcerated. I'll ask the guy I'm interviewing if he knows Hall.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Mel Hall wasn't even good at baseball.
    A very marginal player. No wonder his ego blew up.

12. Drip

Drip Active Member

You are correct. Not many called Hall Sluggo.

Draft saved Draft deleted