1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Megyn Kelly Today" is not off to such a wonderful start

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Well, you did say on the other thread that you're drinking tonight, so what the hell, roll with that.

2. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yeah I am drinking tonight.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Take it to PMs and have a blessed My Dick Is Bigger Than Yours Day.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I feel like this was all so predictable:

America, Megyn Kelly would like you to know that she’s “kind of done with politics now.”

That declaration is the funniest part of “Megyn Kelly Today.” After all, Ms. Kelly’s work covering politics on Fox News is a big reason she’s hosting a morning show on NBC — where, just months ago, she was interviewing Vladimir V. Putin and the “InfoWars” conspiracy theorist Alex Jones in prime time. Maybe she’s just done with politics before noon.

But also, the first week of “Megyn Kelly Today” most closely resembled a familiar political ritual: an awkward rebranding campaign by handlers trying to humanize their candidate.

Ms. Kelly’s opening shows were filled with photo-op moments that screamed, “I am a relatable person who enjoys human fun!” She flipped eggs in an omelet pan, like a pol tossing flapjacks at an Iowa fair. She danced with “Today” show fans. She petted a dog. She was surprised by her colleagues with a cart of mimosas. “O.M.G.,” she said, as if reading an eye chart.

5. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

NBC sure knows how to mess up its mornings.

The track record for these types of shows is not good to begin with. Even Katie Couric and Meredith Vieira couldn't get to the second anniversary of their shows, which were syndicated. And if NBC was so eager to get this kind of show on the air, why not give it to one of them instead of a network newbie?

6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Part of the strategy may have been to help Maddow at MSNBC. Take Kelly out of Fox. It's a pretty common move among the networks.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What's the record for the earliest a free agent knew it wasn't going to work? I've heard Giambi said it during his first week of spring training with the Yankees.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

My first newspaper job, I was already pondering my exit on the second day. Stayed a year, only so it wouldn't look bad on my resume.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Billy Bush? He didn't even make it to "his" hour of Today. Likability is everything in the mornings. It's why Robin Roberts is the second-highest paid morning personality after Lauer.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Giambi didn't work our for the Yankees?

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

His stature shrank a bit as time went on, you might say.

Anyway, he hated it there (at least according to the player anecdotes I'm talking about). Kinda similar to this situation, if you take the outlook that Kelly isn't all that happy in her new spot despite all that money.

Draft saved Draft deleted