1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Megyn Kelly Today" is not off to such a wonderful start

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 28, 2017.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Monday was the debut, and apparently was so bad the Washington Post's TV critic was able to turn in the review of his life.

The debut was like watching a network try to assemble its own Bride of Frankenstein, using parts of Ellen DeGeneres, Kelly Ripa and whatever else it can find. The resultant lovely creature, dressed in a mauve, pussy-bow blouse and skintight pants, moved stiffly and waved her arms around in broad gestures in a bizarre attempt to generate excitement from an audience that was already standing and cheering as duly instructed. She interviewed people nervously and so awkwardly that they were cowed into giving monosyllabic answers. She also never missed an opportunity to talk about herself.

Review | NBC’s Megyn Kelly experiment unveils its latest creation, a morning-show Bride of Frankenstein

The marquee event of the Monday show was a sitdown with the "Will & Grace" cast -- and an interview with a superfan during which Kelly asked, “Is it true that you became a lawyer, and you became gay, because of Will? . . . I don’t know about the lawyer thing, but I think that ‘Will & Grace’ thing and the gay thing is going to work out great.”

Tuesday, Messing posted on Instagram, "Regret going on. Dismayed by her comments."

Wednesday, Jane Fonda and Robert Redford were there to talk about their new movie, and Kelly really wanted to talk to Fonda about plastic surgery. Fonda was not amused. Social media took it from there.

Jane Fonda isn't here for Megyn Kelly's plastic surgery inquiries - CNN

She might have to have Trump come on to save the week.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She burned bridges leaving Fox. I'd love to see her paired with Olbermann for a show. I'd watch that.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I didn't think she'd ever top her "Santa Claus is white" or "Pepper spray is food" moments, but "the gay thing" might've just done it.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

She's losing it. One way for her to bring it back is to have a Basic Instinct moment.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is an interesting one to me.

Kelly (and her agent) are smart. They struck while the iron was hot and got her a ton of cash. But, and I see this because I've lived it at times, she doesn't want to do it anymore. The stuff the made her a star, it doesn't interest her the way it used to. She wants a new challenge.

For NBC, that's a problem. Here you are, you've backed up the Brinks truck and you're not getting what you want. What's worse for them is that this change is not easy. During the Sunday night football game, there was an awkward promo for her new show. It was during a commercial break and I wasn't initially paying attention, but it was so awkward that I stopped what I was doing to watch it.

She actually did a karate kick and I was like, "Wow. I can't believe I just saw that."

Then, I read her Elle Magazine interview where she questioned Jemele Hill's political wading. That kind of stuff made Kelly's career. She's in a tough spot mentally. Just not where she needs to be.

The Peacock has three choices. They can stick with this, but it will be a tough slog. TV executives dont usually have that kind of patience. The can tell her she's going back to politics and find a show that works. Or they can negotiate a buyout.

LongTimeListener and Liut like this.
  6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, Kelly struck while the iron was hot. The thing is, I am not sure she was ever really as great of a commodity as NBC got suckered into believing. Fox News put Tucker Carlson into her slot at night, and I believe he has consistently gotten better ratings than she did. ... at a much lower price. I actually think you can stick anyone in there, and if they stick to a basic "Fox News" script there is a ratings floor. The rest of the ratings aren't as much about the person as about the prominent news stories at the moment and the political temperature of the country.

7. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Tucker started out in her slot but quickly moved to O'Reilly's slot when BillO departed. Now they have something called "The Five" in Kelly's old slot. Have no idea how it's doing.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

This is hardly the first time some TV outfit has hired some name they deemed a new icon of popular culture before asking itself the question "What exactly do we do with her/him?"

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

They should get Abby Martin, Megyn Kelly, and Jemele Hill in a room and boom, there are your hard-charging talking heads.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

What’s with that North Face/free WiFi-ass logo?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

She needs to have on Artie Lange. That will kill the show, and good.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I actually heard a rumor that they've contacted Ted McGinley to try to add some new life to the show.

Ace, sgreenwell, Batman and 8 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted