1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meet "Tilly" -- A Real Killer Whale

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Batman, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

You can't blame a whale for doing what whales do, nor should you be really surprised when something like this happens. Wild animals are, you know, wild, no matter how well trained they are or how long they've been in captivity.

I don't agree with PETA that animals should never be kept in a captive environment. There's benefits to conservation and research that sometimes can only happen in a wildlife park or zoo, and it's easier to make humans want to do things for the benefit of the animals when they can see that species in person.

But there's also danger that comes when you work with huge, powerful creatures, and even then, accidents happen.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

True. It's a shame that a young life was cut tragically short.
    But on the other hand, if you gotta go wouldn't you rather this than something ordinary like a car wreck? It gives you bragging rights in the afterlife.
    Trainer: So how'd you get here?
    Normal guy: Car wreck. You?
    Trainer: Killer whale attack.
    Normal guy: Cool!
    It's like getting run over by a steamroller, or not having your chute open. Might as well stand out from the pack. In the words of Frank Drebin, "A parachute not opening ... that's a way to die. Getting caught in the gears of a combine ... having your nuts bit off by a Laplander, that's the way I wanna go!

3. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

The request for videos may have more to do with the conflicting reports from eyewitnesses. Someone says, "The whale dragged her in" while others say "She fell in and the whale landed on her" or whatever. Perhaps the vids aren't for publication per se, but just to let reporters know what actually happened.

Just a thought.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sucks that these things occur.

As someone who has brought his kids to SeaWorld (San Diego) multiple times, the Orcas are awesome to see (once paid the premium to have lunch next to the tank as well); something I'd probably never get to experience otherwise.

5. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Keeping whales in isolation probably isn't that good of an idea. They are social animals and are bound to become lonely and frustrated.

Perhaps Tilly only wanted the trainer to be his chum.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :D

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

For some reason I have a hard time feeling bad for people who make a living by fucking with huge animals or lions, tigers and bears.

They are called wild animals for a reason.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Zoos are okay by me. But taking very large animals that can eat you and making them do tricks because you think it plays well in Vegas or Mouse Town is eventually asking for trouble.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Yeah, Jennifer Tilly's seen better days, but calling her a whale is a bit much.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Just curious. Who, or what, DON'T you have a hard time feeling bad for?

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The fact that whale had a history with TWO previous deaths, whether or not it had a significant role (I guess the whale has refused comment), means it should be far out in the Pacific, not still in the freaking tank. Sad all around.

12. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

It's a serial killer whale.

Draft saved Draft deleted